THE LYRIDS STAR PARTY (Apr 21- Apr 22)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I didn't see any but lots of constellations.
Me too... :( I only able to obs at my usual Tampines site due to work late and fixing my camera remote control cable. The sky was very clear, but also very humid. Didn't manage to see any meteor in the end... not even in my dream... :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Hehe, the atmospheric condition yesterday here was not quite good too.
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
naturezlove

Post by naturezlove »

hmm i was there but not with the grp party... i saw 2 meteors.. at about 1221 -1223hours... 1st one is whitish colour and the 2nd one is a beautiful orange streak across the sky... sorry i wasnt able to proved exactly where... as im a noob.. :-) hmmm anyway can anyone tell me wad was the constellations in the sky that early morning? just to check if the constellations is wad i see it to be according to my sky chart.. :) thanks!
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

Tachyon wrote:I was at East Coast @ 7.30 pm. :(
i was there too @ 8pm, found no one there too...
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
anyway can anyone tell me wad was the constellations in the sky that early morning? just to check if the constellations is wad i see it to be according to my sky chart..
There are quite a lots of constellation up there, so which direction (East, North-East, directly overhead & etc) and what time??

If you mean which constellation the meteor shower appear, it the constellation Lyra.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
toolkit

Post by toolkit »

Hi,

Would like to thank Remus (rcj) and Clifford (what is your nick?)
for showing me the compound scopes! Finally got to see
Saturn and scopes in action!
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

nice chatting up wif Remus and seeing jin peng again.. funny thing rp astronomy got alot of gers.. hmm.. so funny.. the sky is pretty gd after all.. lots of stars..
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
naturezlove

Post by naturezlove »

weixing wrote:Hi,
anyway can anyone tell me wad was the constellations in the sky that early morning? just to check if the constellations is wad i see it to be according to my sky chart..
There are quite a lots of constellation up there, so which direction (East, North-East, directly overhead & etc) and what time??

If you mean which constellation the meteor shower appear, it the constellation Lyra.

Have a nice day.
hmm u guys manage to spot a lot of constellations at east coast?
hmmm im not sure if i am correct but i think i spotted the crux..
the rest im not sure cant recall the name now as i dun have the chart with me.. the star chart i used was from the one in a astronomy bk sold in science centre for singapore sky...
Jin Peng

Report for Lyrids Star Party 2007

Post by Jin Peng »

Greetings to all astronomers,

First I would like thank those who had attended the star party and hope you enjoy your stay! Secondly would like to apolodise to those who went there early but find none of us, sorry for making you guys wait...

The star party started @ RP with the talk by remus on his recent trip to australia star party and the talk started around 2:45pm, the talk was delayed due to the students from various school turn up late... Anyway, the talk was fun, the feedback from the students was the talk something new and of course, astronomy in other countries is really very different! After a 15mins break we have our second speaker Mr YK Chia about meteors imaging and shower! To many new students, they find imaging meteors is very cool, many new student are just confuse with some term but they find the talk interesting and get the hang of the terms like radiant.

And suprisingly, there was a heavy rain with thunder and we are concern that east coast side is raining as well! :( Hence we delay the bus, unfortunately the bus driver can only offer 6pm and 9:15pm timeslot. Therefore we choose the 9:15pm timeslot. We continue our program with movie on Armandaggon, many of them laugh at certain scene of the movie, they find it related even thought is 10years ago! :D haha... Then we proceed to have our buffet at RP instead.

We reach east coast campsite at about 1045pm. We started to settle down and soon, all of us are enjoying the splendid night sky! Entertaining them with the green Vixen r200ss telescope (limited edition!) with First vixen mount and wooden leg with an LV 20mm eyepiece, totally vixen supporter!...lol... I let them see saturn, jupiter, M44(not so clear as it is low at horizon), Omega Centauri (many of them complain too dim, cannot see, ... but fuzzy ball what to do?lol..., then later on back to ursa majoy pointing Mizar to enjoy the double star system, following with jewel box...take a break, later on take M6, M7, M8, and M4 (no one interested... sad...) then meteor watch time, all lie down to start hunt for them since i hear so many woos and ha... :shock: , is tempting... not bad, caught 3 meteors, 2 yellow and 1 orange-white... hee... 8-) then accidentally fall asleep, Oh oh... :wink: haha...then next day morning, students were dismiss and many of them enjoy the splendid sun rise, which mark the end of the party. They all receive a doorgift and ended with an lucky draw. :P

We hope to organise more of such events in future and I would like to thank to the schools astronomy clubs who participated and supported our event, and thanks to those singastroian who make it for the event! Hope you guys enjoy and clear skies ahead!

Jin Peng~ :D
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Need to rush a project that day, so didn't turn up at east coast. Anyway, I was in Tampines that night observing instead. The sky was very clear, but also very humid.
Entertaining them with the green Vixen r200ss telescope (limited edition!) with First vixen mount and wooden leg with an LV 20mm eyepiece, totally vixen supporter!...lol... I let them see saturn, jupiter, M44(not so clear as it is low at horizon), Omega Centauri (many of them complain too dim, cannot see, ... but fuzzy ball what to do?lol..., then later on back to ursa majoy pointing Mizar to enjoy the double star system, following with jewel box...take a break, later on take M6, M7, M8, and M4 (no one interested... sad...)
The Omega Centauri was very nice from Tampines. I was able to see countless stars fill up the whole eyepiece. The M4 & M6 were also very nice. M7 was not that nice as lower power is needed to have the whole object in the FoV and this cause the light pollution to be visible in the view. Anyway, East coast should be a better site to view the southern sky and should give a better view.... I think your magnification is too low (40x) if you use the LV20 on R200SS on Omega Centauri and M4.
caught 3 meteors, 2 yellow and 1 orange-white
I got none during the observation and none in my dream... :(

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing