THE LYRIDS STAR PARTY (Apr 21- Apr 22)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
End: 1/14/2010 7:00 AM
WOW!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Jin Peng

Post by Jin Peng »

:shock: Ops!
seven

Post by seven »

may i noe whr this event will be held and e time that e meteor shower might appear?hmm..cos i can't access e brochure..
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

What will be done if the sky is cloudy?
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
Jin Peng

Post by Jin Peng »

Hi seven, You can download the brochure @
http://myrp2.myrp.edu.sg/sites/cca/alc/ ... ult%2Easpx

Hm.... The radiant will rise around 12:13am + from the east, however, after 12am all lights are ban and we will be enjoying the night sky. Not necessary we will be waiting for the radiant to be visible in order to see meteors, sporadic meteors might appear occasionally, depend on the seeing of the sky!
:P

Hi Kim Miau,
We will check with NEA on that day itself again before the crowd move to east coast for the accurate weather prediction for that night.
If that day the forcast say will be wet weather in the night, we will tell the participants and we will conduct games activities and movies marathon for the participants thoughout the event, and have observation at RP itself.
If we reach there and sky is overcast, backup plan would be teaching participants about telescope mechanics, games for interaction, and sharing astronomy experiences with them.

Of course, pray for clear skies that night! :D
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Hmm.. so the part at East Coast is not confirmed?

I'll be going East Coast no matter what..

Anyway, here's an update (might be considered OT). I've invited Mr Wan Kok Wah, an ex-Mediacorp props artist, to the meteor shower. He is now retired from Mediacorp but in his free time handmakes intricate kites to sell. The smallest kite i have seen (it actually flies!) can fit into the palm of your hand! He also has other models like planes that need no motor to fly and turn the propeller, and a dragonfly that you can actually hear it "fly"!

He actually wanted to go West Coast on Saturday, but I have invited him down and he said he will be at East Coast, same patch of grass area between Carpark C4 and D1, by 1pm. If anyone wants to look at his works, he will be there to show off his works, and fly them. You can even buy them, and they are very cheap too. Alternatively, he should be staying overnight so you can also stay up to the next morning to see his wonderful creations after seeing the meteor shower. The kites are really very small and intricate, and seeing them fly is as wonderful a feeling as looking at the stars..
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

zong wrote:Anyway, here's an update (might be considered OT). I've invited Mr Wan Kok Wah, an ex-Mediacorp props artist, to the meteor shower. He is now retired from Mediacorp but in his free time handmakes intricate kites to sell. The smallest kite i have seen (it actually flies!) can fit into the palm of your hand! He also has other models like planes that need no motor to fly and turn the propeller, and a dragonfly that you can actually hear it "fly"!

He actually wanted to go West Coast on Saturday, but I have invited him down and he said he will be at East Coast, same patch of grass area between Carpark C4 and D1, by 1pm. If anyone wants to look at his works, he will be there to show off his works, and fly them. You can even buy them, and they are very cheap too. Alternatively, he should be staying overnight so you can also stay up to the next morning to see his wonderful creations after seeing the meteor shower. The kites are really very small and intricate, and seeing them fly is as wonderful a feeling as looking at the stars..
Heh.. I hope none of his dragonflies end up inside one of the tubes!

I'm interested... you know how much it costs? I don't usually carry a lot of cash with my during obs sessions - for security reasons.

Cheers!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Jin Peng, looks like the backup plan is quite interesting. I am the president of C.H.H.S. (Chong Hwa High School) Astronomy Club. Do you mind to have a interaction?
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Sorry, but I'm confused. So, do I need to go to RP to register if I have registered online? Where do I pay for the buffet? Can I 'takeaway'? :P
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
mySG_jy

Post by mySG_jy »

can i just show up at East coast? don't want to go RP