THE LYRIDS STAR PARTY (Apr 21- Apr 22)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
yanyewkay

Post by yanyewkay »

Tachyon wrote:Can I 'takeaway'? :P
you can takeaway the scraps while I'll takeaway your scope. :lol: :lol: :lol:
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

don't think it is an issue if you just want to go to east coast park, but you will miss the talks. :(
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Jin Peng

Latest Updates!

Post by Jin Peng »

:shock: WOW! thats alot of questions to answer...

Hi everyone, i had ask the weather forcast and tml might have shower in evening, again clear sky is possible after midnight when clouds clear like tonight! :P
Hence we come up with this plan for tommorrow... On RP side there will be around 60 participants and the crowd will reach eash coast by 7pm. If you guys want to locate me, please call 90678049. If that time 7pm there is rain, we will be at marine cove to take shelter, the buffet will resume right after the rain(if there is). Rain or moonshine, the campsite at east coast in the evening is confirm. :D

Hm... 8-) is not compulsory to register at RP, there will be an registration counter set up at east coast campsite itself! You can register yourself there and get to join us for the lucky draw, first 25 people will receive a door gift! :)

For enquiry about the buffet, please ensure you register at the counter before you proceed for the buffet. This is to ensure those who not paid will not play cheat to cop the food! To be fair, I hope you understand that no take away is allowed, especially no food at the "telescope zone". :!:

For the garage sales occuring from 7pm - 12am, seem like Mr Wan Kok Wah is in the list, cool! There will be vendors selling:
camping pillow - $3.50
LED L-torch (with 4 diff colour lens) batteries provided - $4.00
Poncho - act as groundsheet... (budget way ya... hehe...) - $2.50
Lightsticks - 2 types (1 is the bracelet type [4 for $1], another 1 is the thicker type [1 for $1.20])
and drinks...

Please take note that strictly no bright lights (lamp, torch, etc) and green laser is allowed from 12am - 6am, offender will fine be $2! Only Red light is allowed during this period throughout the campsite. This is to preserve night vision and not affecting astronomers taking astro images!

Lyrids Star Party is in few hours time!
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Why is green laser disallowed? I thought it won't hurt the image?
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

How was the event fellas? Was a little tired to pop by but I know the sky was great last night. saw many meteors?
rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi Rich and rest,

It was a sucessful event. MANY students turned up, RP did a great job! It was really like a star party atmosphere, but mainly students. The nights started out initially very good, clouds rolled in thereafter, but towards midnight, it improved further. At about 1-2AM, it was not too bad. Those who turned up saw familar favourites in the southern constellations, and visible planets. It was a good time to meet up with SINGASTROians, some that have never met in person before. Lots of chatting, and exchange in experiences, etc. There were oohs and aahs and exclaimations from the students whenever a meteor was caught grazing across the sky! Did the stay the entire night though, left about 2 plus....

Cheers!
Photon Bucket
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I was at East Coast @ 7.30 pm. :(
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

oh no. did not stay on longer? was there around 8-9, did not see anyone too, but luckily, more arrived shortly after....
Photon Bucket
annechan

Post by annechan »

I saw 2 meteors, I think :roll:
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

I didn't see any but lots of constellations. Haha~ By the way, the Aurigid meteor shower is going to be crazy this year.
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250