Tampines Observation Session (29 May 2015 21:00)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Tampines Observation Session (29 May 2015 21:00)

Post by weixing »

Date : Friday/Saturday (Imaging), Sunday (observation) night and sometimes public holiday eve/night.
Time : Usually start around 21:00 till 23:30 or depend on weather condition.
Venue: Site 1 - The grass field between the Tampines Swimming Complex main entrance, Mosque and the Tampines Sport Complex.

All are welcome to join me. Observation session currently will be inform via sms. PM me your HP number if interested.

Hope good weather and clear night sky!!
Last edited by weixing on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:17 am, edited 13 times in total.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

weixing,

not joining us to mersing this weekend?
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
weixing,

not joining us to mersing this weekend?
Nope... Too may work need to be clear... :(

Enjoy the trip and clear sky!!

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
edgoon

visiting Singapore from US,want to see stars

Post by edgoon »

Hi, I'm going to be visiting Singapore from the northeastern US at the beginning of August. I am hoping to be able to see the stars from the equator. Are there any available star parties? Also, I was so hoping to be able to borrow/rent (willing to leave a deposit) a scope from a local club so I could go to one of the remote islands and view the stars. Can anyone help me?
kazumacat

Post by kazumacat »

Hey weixing,
the Site 2 there seems to have been used up...
building up another block liao...

Anyway earlier this year, i found a very big place for observing leh...
You know the mountain bike's trail behind Sun Plaza Park?
In the evening, i went there to jog and waited to see the nightsky...
The place has very big coverage... but the problem would be the convenience... Mayb u can go and take a look... Probably on the dry season only...
~Clear Skies~

Clear Skies~! I wish for Clear Skies when i'm free~!!! Clear Skies~!
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Anyway earlier this year, i found a very big place for observing leh...
You know the mountain bike's trail behind Sun Plaza Park?
In the evening, i went there to jog and waited to see the nightsky...
The place has very big coverage... but the problem would be the convenience... Mayb u can go and take a look... Probably on the dry season only...
Ya... I know this place long long ago... It's quite good... got big open area with shelter and most light is block by tree. I and my friend used to observe at the car park there. Currently, some part of the place is under construction for expansion.

Anyway, it's quite far away (around 1km from my usual mosque obs site) and no near by bus stop, it is very inconvenient for those who don't drive (such as me)... it's also inconvenient for those who drive if the car park is not close by (the nearest HDB car park is at may be 100m - 200m away) which should be at night. Also, I don't feel that safe to observe there unless in a bigger group.

Have a nice day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yang Weixing
kazumacat

Post by kazumacat »

LOLx.. u even capture the satelite map of the place...
Ya, as u mention, it has alot of un-convenience~
Guess it is not a suitable place...
~Clear Skies~

Clear Skies~! I wish for Clear Skies when i'm free~!!! Clear Skies~!
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Decided to change my weekly Tampines observation session to Sunday night as that's the only night when the construction site opposite my usual observation site switch off their lights. Please note site 1 is the observation site as site 2 is now the construction site... :( :(

Clear skies and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Regarding the tampines mountain bike trail, I was cyclied there with my frens and I can say that that place is dark at night but not really conducive for astro. For those that have not been there before, the terrain of that area consist of 2 small knolls one abt 15m and 20m respectively, connected by a central ridge line. Those elevations no doubt higher than the surrounding, but they are relatively sheltered from the lights from TP own due to the tall trees at the entrance. At the entrance, there are is a small shed with a workers quarters nearby. At the other end, there is a large open field abt 2X of a soccer field. That place is gd, but too far from the entrance.

Some of the problems

1)The available space on the hill tops are small, not really suitable to setup a few scopes at any one time. It is also flooded with minmosa plants and the only available path up there is via a long winding path, unless u choose to bash.

2) Currently, they are building another knoll. There are lotsa of heavy vehicles operating there, so safety might be an issue. Besides, there is a mini extreme stun biking court near the entrance, it might cause some light pollution problems

But I guess, that they might be keeping that place wild, as I dun see them building any audience stand, restroom or what so ever. But I maybe wrong as you nv know whether they intent to turn this place into a BMX biking arena for the youth olympics 2010
cklee82

Post by cklee82 »

Is there Geminids meteor shower observation this weekend night?