Comet Watch '03/'04

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Devilname

Post by Devilname »

I was playing around starry nights just now and was looking at the comets, i found this comet NEAT (C/2001 Q4) from the database and started to track it virtually using the software, it seems that it might make our sky interesting next year May 7th as it becomes at best a 0.9 mag object in the sky, making it a naked eye/bino spectacle. Then i searched the web and found an article related:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/comet_N ... 30516.html

do read it as it might be a good event to be happening in our skys...or it could be another dud
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

Holy moly gonzally!

JUNwei is that you in avatar in mersing?hohoho :shock:

Hmm. devilname did it didnt give the size of comet eh? like how many arc seconds..if the comet is very big, then the magnitude will drop.(not very sure someone has to cross check)
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers
Devilname

Post by Devilname »

kcy wrote:Holy moly gonzally!

JUNwei is that you in avatar in mersing?hohoho :shock:

Hmm. devilname did it didnt give the size of comet eh? like how many arc seconds..if the comet is very big, then the magnitude will drop.(not very sure someone has to cross check)
I used starry night pro to see one ley, so all predicted one lo...
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

hmm....well we have to see it with our own eyes to confirm eh!

HA yeah junwei i'm zhongyao :D ..what are you holding in your hand!!!!
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
For your Infomation, currently the C/2001 Q4 NEAT is at the below position:
RA: 04h 32m DEC: -68deg 52m at 11 Magnitude

So, it is visible now, but it is very dim and may be too south for us to see(due to light pollution). May be those who have a GOTO scope can try??

Have a nice day.. :D
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Anyone knows of a good viewing sight to catch ENCKE ?

Dec 2nd: Low on horizon, 5th Mag.

I would be very interested to view my first comet. Anyone willing to organise a viewing session?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

5th magnitude should be easy for a 4" goto at zenith but "low on the horizon" is the killer here. anyone IN THEIR ENTIRE LIVES have ever seen a cloudless horizon in Singapore? :roll:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Rich,

What to do? Comets are brightest when they are near the sun.. I'm sure ENCKE might be observable on the approach, but not sure how faint it is.

Wonder what the experience of past comet watchers have been. Is there a chance for a comet session this year?

ChrisY
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Wonder what the experience of past comet watchers have been. Is there a chance for a comet session this year?

ChrisY
The clouds may just ruin it all, but fortunately it's not just a one night only thing, so we have a few nights to play around with. I'm aiming for Comet C/2002 T7 (LINEAR) - the one that will be in the Perseus-Triangulum neighbourhood towards the end of the year. Especially when it passes close to M33 (within 2 degrees), it should be easy to spot if we have cloud free skies over that area.

Whatever it is, I'll be volunteering the 22 x 100 binos for the hunt. It's time I made it useful in some way. I wonder if fellow 22 x 100 owner kcsquare76 would like to join in too ? :lol:
Samuel Ng