Comet Watch '03/'04

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

From the Nov issue of Astronomy Magazine, the Enke comet , which has thr shortest TAT of 3+ years will pass through the summer triangle in Nov 03.
Unfortunately, it will likely be a blurred spot with no visible tail...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

No prob on my part! i've seen one comet so far in Ubin....forgot what is it though...i think its in May/June'01.. But i COULD be in Indonesia for a star-gazing retreat at Tanjong Batu (3 hrs boat ride from SG, 45mins from Bali)...so lets see till then eh?

Charlie
elton

Post by elton »

Cool, its been a long time since I saw a comet. I remember Halley in the 80s to be quite similar to omega centauri in my binos and c90 with a slight tail (halley passed quite close to omega then), rather disappointing. Hale bopp in 1997 was much better. It was a stunning naked eye object stretching over something like 20 deg of sky. Pity i was overseas studying then and did not bring along even binos. But took some very nice pics though with 50mm lens slr, maybe shall post them here sometime.
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

I'm on 2 for the coment hunting. Maybe we should start a new thread called "Comet Hunting Activation", and get the contacts of people who are really interested.

Talking about st halley...I was born in that year when it was visible!!! Darn the next time I see it will be when I'm 76 YEARS OLD!!!!!! :cry:
I wonder will I still be around or if i still haf good enough eyes 2 see. :?
Kamikazer

Post by Kamikazer »

i would like to join in the comet hunting...
never caught any comets or meteors before (that includes the leonids during dont-know-when)
but can we do without any equipment?
K.L. Lee
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

kamikazer.. of course u can join us~ :D
if u dun have equipment, just hop around all the others who have scopes.. then u can see different "version" of the comet.. hehehe :P :P
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Has anyone seen a satallite decay before?
angeline

Post by angeline »

hUH? satelite decay??? nope, ya seen before?? :shock: hehehe!
angeline

Post by angeline »

Kamikazer wrote:i would like to join in the comet hunting...
never caught any comets or meteors before (that includes the leonids during dont-know-when)
but can we do without any equipment?
hey~ its oki without equipment, its also quite fun looking at the objects thru ppl's scope... :wink:
ya no need equip to see meteors, unless ya very lucky to view a meteor shooting across the sky thru scope lah... some of my frens actually saw be4 *so lucky for them*.... :D but for comets, not too sure whether need a scope to see a not leh, hehe! i nv see a comet before :x
Oh, regarding the leonids meteor shower is fall on nov...
Devilname

Post by Devilname »

The leonid meteor shower's starts from November 14th to the 20th
with the maximum happening on nov. 18, 09:50am.

The meteors' radiant point is at the 'head' of the constellation leo but it can also appear all round the sky. Since the constellation Leo doesn't rise up high in the sky till 0500 hours we will missing quite some action, so those who can tahan sleepiness will catch its best before dawn brightens up the sky....