Weekend of Meteor Showers

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I wonder if the astronauts on the ISS-Space Shuttle would be able to see the meteors from up above looking down?
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002 ... eteors.htm

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
star16jan

Post by star16jan »

oh gosh!!!
It has been raining since 7pm.
I hope I can resist the nice weather and not fall asleep easily.
And hope the sky will be cleared by then.
Keep my fingers cross. :roll:
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

hlyf wrote:Haha caught one meteor on camera. One lucky shot! Was the only meteor I saw that night, next to Jupiter while I was shooting Scorpius... The other one, apparently, shot in another part of the sky at exactly the same time.
hey! glad u managed to capture the streak! hahaha.... not photochopped? :twisted:
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

rcj wrote:
hey! glad u managed to capture the streak! hahaha.... not photochopped? :twisted:
photoChopped? :shock:

Yeah I chopped (cropped) the photo and photoShopped it. Kinda announced that I overexposed the photo mah :P The only meteor of the night so gotta try and salvage the photo >.<
Jim McGill
Vendor

Latest: Teluk Sari Site

Post by Jim McGill »

weixing wrote:Hi,
The optimum location is a dark site not adversly affected by light pollution, eg, Tg Resang (Mersing) area.
Since I think most of us will be observing this meteor shower in Singapore, it's best to reference to Singapore site.

Anyway, I think most suitable site in Singapore will be in Changi Beach.

Have a nice day.
Hi Weixing n all,

I was at Teluk Sari on Tuesday night (14 Aug 07). Instead I saw meteors from the Southern part, 3 in less than 20 mins I think.

Everytime when in Mersing, I'll definitely see a few shooting stars, cos the night sky is dark enough I suppose.

However, the bad thing is the annoying light pollution from cars plying the road next to the field.

In addition, a family of buffaloes has also made the field their home- 3 adults n 1 kid. They are real fierce. Didn't realise all four were staring at me when I was strolling there waiting for nightfall. Perhaps it's the attraction of a small pond there. They really love to wallow in the muddy waters.

As a result, heaps of dung are littered all over the field as a present to guests. There are no cleaners there, so try to be extra careful of these 2 threats - angry animal and smelly waste.

Cheers,
Jim, McGill.
starfinder

Re: Latest: Teluk Sari Site

Post by starfinder »

Jim McGill wrote:
In addition, a family of buffaloes has also made the field their home- 3 adults n 1 kid. They are real fierce. Didn't realise all four were staring at me when I was strolling there waiting for nightfall. Perhaps it's the attraction of a small pond there. They really love to wallow in the muddy waters.

As a result, heaps of dung are littered all over the field as a present to guests. There are no cleaners there, so try to be extra careful of these 2 threats - angry animal and smelly waste.

Cheers,
Jim, McGill.

The water buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis carabanesis?, Malay: kerbau) have been at the Telok Sari field for years, at least since I first went there around 7 years or so ago. They are sometimes present and at other times nowhere to be seen.

Yes, I would not go anywhere near them (stay at least 50m away) as they look very fierce. Having said that, I have not seen them actually approach people, and they just seem to stare and eventually walk off.

Sometimes there are over a dozen of them at a time. I don't think they stay at that field overnight though, as they seem to move off to elsewhere as night falls. Or perhaps they stay near the pond, which is well away from our usual line of observing areas adjacent to the beach.