Weekend of Meteor Showers

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Weekend of Meteor Showers

Post by zong »

Hi all,

I am planning to do something bigger this time round for Perseids. I hope to plan 2 overnight sessions just to see the meteor showers, one on Friday night, and the next one on Saturday. In order to reach the most number of newbies, I plan to do the Friday one at Turf City, and the Saturday one at East Coast Park area between Carpark C4 and D1. That would allow people from East and West all to enjoy the shower. How does that sound?

My only fear now would be that the haze would flood the place by August, and ruin BOTH nights. What do you guys think?
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

No replies.. does that mean that nobody is interested in the Perseids?

Maybe I should push this event down to the Leonids with a higher chance of catching the shower?
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

It seems like nowadays no one is replying to ob session. You may need to call them.
mySG_jy

Post by mySG_jy »

well should compile a contact list
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

I think Leonids has passed its 33 years peak, not much point making a big event out of Leonids.

Go for the more reliable ones like Geminids and Perseids.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
No replies.. does that mean that nobody is interested in the Perseids?
IMHO, the reason is that most meteor shower in Singapore had been disappointing and the peak period fall on a New Moon period which many people might had their own observation plan.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Frankly, I have a bad habit - I get bored easily. Which is why meteor showers and lunar eclipses fail to excite me anymore. The last time I watched a lunar eclipse was like "C'mon... move faster... get it over with so I can go back to sleep"!

:mrgreen:
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Singapore meteor showers are disappointing.. but still can be seen! My best was last year's Geminid when I saw more than 10 in an hour.

When is the peak of the Perseids?
AstroDuck
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

According to the Internet, this year's perseids peak is around 10-14 Aug. I planned for 10 and 11 Aug.

Yea.. few of us are interested in meteor showers anymore due to the many reasons.. but hey, it is still interesting. I think i will never get sick of meteors. And.. even if WE do get past the stage of meteors, the public might never get sick of it. Holding such a public ob would probably help getting more of them into the astronomy scene.. That's why I'm still trying to hold these meteor shower obs, so that anyone can inform their friends that there will be such a thing coming... Sometimes, it's not about the meteors too. It could also be a night to catch up with your friends after inviting them there. Or it could be a chance to tell some stories about the stars that we can see, even if we can't see any meteor.. Anything to teach people about the night sky and make them aware of the gems up there.
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

Normally Perseids will be at it's peak between Aug 12th and 13th. This year International Meteor Organization predit it to be around 5h —7h30m UT, Aug 13th, and a possible peak to be around 15UT, Aug 13th.

Perseids is the first meteor showever I saw, back in 1996. So far it seldom let me down. However, cos the radiant is low for Singapore, it will be less amazing than northern latitudes, but still worth trying.

Jia Hao
Clear skies please...