Desaru Stargazing Expedition in October 2007

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
rcj
Vendor

Desaru Stargazing Expedition in October 2007

Post by rcj »

Hi all,

Here's a fresh change from the usual stargazing trips to Mersing. We are planning to organize one trip to Desaru in October instead, and will be staying at the Desaru Golden Beach Resort. Based on prior trips earlier this year, the observing site (which is an abandoned twin net ball court) is located within the resort premises and yet offer dark enough skies to see North American nebula as a naked eye object or through finder scopes! What more with the comfort of the air-conditioned rooms complete with hot shower bath tubs and TV. It will be held during the weekend of 5-7th October (2007) from Friday to Sunday (3D2N trip). Price of the package will include two-way transport and air-conditioned accomodation ranging from twin to triple sharing. Food is optional at this point. Right now, the price of the package cannot be confirmed yet as we would like to have an idea how the response to this trip will be like. If the response is big, we may hire a big coach, otherwise we may settle for alternative means of transport.
Viewing at the net ball court is close to being completely unobstructed with the rooms in the direction of west and a nominal clear horizon everywhere elsewhere from 10 degrees elevation and beyond.

Time of likely departure will be in the late morning on Friday and you can expect to be back in Singapore by evening on Sunday.

Please let me know if you have interest in this trip, and we will keep you informed of further pricing and package details.

PM, or email remuscj@yahoo.com
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Here are some updates for the upcoming Desaru trip in October 5-7th.

The cost per person will be SGD$180. This includes:
1) Twin sharing air-conditioned room in the 4-star resort.
2) Resort Transport to-and-fro
3) Ferry ticket (to-and-fro)
4) Breakfast and Supper

Lunch and dinner will be optional and on your own. The rooms are strategically chosen to be located NEAREST to the observing ground at the netball courts. We will try to minimize the surroundings affected lights (resort management will switch them off).

There are optional activities in the resort including archery, swimming pool, karoake, pool/billiard, lounge, and many more.

We will all meet at 7PM on Friday evening (October 5th) direct at the Changi Ferry Terminal. We are expected to reach the resort in Desaru by 10PM. Supper will be served thereafter, but it is best that you have dinner prior. We are expected to be back in Singapore at the ferry terminal by 4PM on Sunday (October 7th).

Registration opens now, and limited availability. We will close by next week.
Photon Bucket
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

current update: >20 people...
Photon Bucket
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Heh Remus wonder how are the ferry and jetty facilities like? I am kind of worried the portaball will take an unplanned swim in the sea if I go... :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi CC,

The ferry services we are engaging from the Changi Ferry Terminal (not to be misunderstood by the Changi Point Ferry Terminal at Changi Village) are large cruise vessels that hold 50 to 150 passengers at one go. It is very different from the bum boats that we used to take from Changi Village to Batu Layar. The large cruise vessels will head to Tg. Belungkor and then we will have scheduled resort transport to take our friends to the resort directly (short trip). It should be fine and safe to bring a collapsible dobsonian along.

The address of the Changi Ferry Terminal is as follows (FYI):

Changi Ferry Terminal
30 Changi Ferry Road
Singapore 499675
Photon Bucket
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

acc wrote:Heh Remus wonder how are the ferry and jetty facilities like? I am kind of worried the portaball will take an unplanned swim in the sea if I go... :)
All of a sudden, I have this image of someone rowing in a portaball... it could be a life saver!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Tachyon wrote:
acc wrote:Heh Remus wonder how are the ferry and jetty facilities like? I am kind of worried the portaball will take an unplanned swim in the sea if I go... :)
All of a sudden, I have this image of someone rowing in a portaball... it could be a life saver!
with portholes the portaball can double as a diving helmet! :lol:
Looks like a good trip for those going.
Remus : Is the obs site within walking distance from the Desaru ferry terminal or you need to make your way there?
cheers
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Tachyon wrote: All of a sudden, I have this image of someone rowing in a portaball... it could be a life saver!
Heh Tachyon when I get my hands on your Ethos I am going to crrusssssshhhhhh it like a cockcroach!! :twisted:

Thanks Remus. The Desaru trip is very tempting.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

i heard there's going to be a buffet styled breakfast. sounds really good for indulging especially a night of stargazing! hahaha....

The observing site is a stone throw from the rooms. The rooms that houses those with equipment, will be specially allocated with ground level rooms so that it is easy for them to bring their equipment out to the site which is a netball court facing east and north.
Photon Bucket
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Hey remus,

Can you organize another trip in Mar/Apr next year to the same place at Desaru instead of mersing?