Comet 17P/Holmes gone kaboom!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
perseid
Vendor

Comet 17P/Holmes gone kaboom!

Post by perseid »

I received an email that comet 17P/Holmes had an outburst. It brightens from mag 16 to mag 4! The comet is currently in Perseus.

Get more info from
http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/0017P/2007.html

Rain, rain, go away, come again another.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
WOW!! But weather forecast for these few days wasn't good... :( :(

Let's keep all our fingers and toes cross!!

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Comet 17P

Post by kochu »

Wow ! Now at Magnitude 2.8 and still brightening. And it is a repeat show.

http://www.cometography.com/pcomets/017p.html

Kochu/25-10-07
vhuang168

Post by vhuang168 »

It is naked eye for me. Just went outside and checked it out with my Canon 18X50 IS binos. Very bright core with a nice halo around it. Nice yellowish color, almost orange. But that could be from the fire happening down south as well. I'll start the mount later and see if I can grab a picture or 2.

Vincent
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

seems like this is a great comet outburst without much of a tail!
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
vhuang168

Post by vhuang168 »

I think the tail is behind it so you can't see it.

Vincent
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

vhuang168 wrote:I think the tail is behind it so you can't see it.

Vincent
yeah...I figured that should be the reason when I read it was closest to the sun last May and has presently moved quite far away already. Everybody is guessing why and my theory is likely the dynamic thermal expansions probably created a great crack in its body resulting is massive outgassing of its internal ice store...

In anycase, we won't know unless we can send the USS Enterprise to do an investigation... They can beam some samples back to earth for analysis! :lol:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

Today between 3am and 6am, I and another person observed the comet successfully using our school club's 10inch Dob. The comet was indeed bright enough for naked eye. I estimate the magnitude to be around 2.8; and the diameter of coma is larger than 1 arcminute; high condensation; no tail detected. Another interesting thing is its yellow colour, which is very obvious in the 10 incher. Below is a sketch made by Wade Corbell, who used exactly the same scope as I. The sketch shows what the comet looks like in the 10 incher except for the yellow color, maybe he did not make much effort putting color into the sketch.

[align=center]Image[/align]

According to various obervers, the size of coma is increasing fast, but the comet still remains at mag. 2 to 3. Hopefull tonight will be clear so we can keep track on this amazing comet!!!

Clear skies,
Jia Hao
Clear skies please...
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

it should be located quite far away at the moment (even though bright), hence probably figured the tail will not be that obvious since its proximity to the sun is still quite far. There was a similar outburst in Nov 1852 which lasted a few weeks. Let's hope this outburst will last long enough for those not blessed with good weather to see it...
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

17 P/Holmes

Post by kochu »

Hi ,

There have been many speculations about this unique comet. Following quote from Dr. Clay Sherrod's posting

"some are now speculating that the core of the comet might have been HIT by an errant asteroid....interesting stuff.

There is not enough solar wind present at the distance (I believe about 220 million miles at this point) for much tail to develop quickly."

Unquote

Kochu/26-10-07