Possible shooting star?

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Munying

Possible shooting star?

Post by Munying »

I saw a shooting star yesterday night - 30 November.

It looks like a shooting star though. Any suggestions as to which meteor shower it belongs to?
Auroras - the play of colours
popsoda

Post by popsoda »

geminids meteor shower is arnd the corner but this early? maybe not. could be something else...but what? :?
A limited human mind VS a limitless universe
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Hi Munying, Popsoda,

If that's a shooting star, it's probably called a sporadic. You see shooting stars not just around meteor showers, they come all the time, just that the frequencies of them are higher during meteor showers.

But a little trivia would be, not all shooting stars you see are "real" shooting stars... there is a lot of space junk orbiting Earth, it could be just these junk falling back into Earth and burning up. Alternatively, a "dirtier" side of these shooting stars (not frequent, i hope) would be that they are the "by-products" of astronauts up there orbiting the Earth, being ejected out of the shuttles or the ISS. You should know what by-products I mean. :lol:
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!