clear and dark skies in camp, 14/03/08

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Hmm... I did my Reservist for 10 years at Changi camp (next to the Changi Naval Base) but did not experience the wonderful sky you had! You must be very lucky...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Jingguo

Post by Jingguo »

i wonder if army would allow astro endu like to us to access to such area for astronomy??? i will always remember seeing milky way in tekong. the experience of seeing milkyway in singapore is good coz its something you don expect while its a must to see milkyway in malaysia. an amazing experience to c milkyway in tekong
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

unlikely. need clearance .
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

In my opinion, the Changi naval base area is actually the clearest part in Singapore. It is possible to see the Milky Way from there and the southern and eastern constellations will be very clear (singapore's standard) due to much less light pollution from Singapore. If there is no haze and clouds to reflect back the light pollution from Singapore, it is possible to see to Mag 5 stars.

The sad part is, it is getting brighter with more street lights and it is rather inaccessible even with cars. My best view of Singapore's best sky is at Changi Naval Base area..
AstroDuck
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Canopus Lim wrote:In my opinion, the Changi naval base area is actually the clearest part in Singapore. It is possible to see the Milky Way from there and the southern and eastern constellations will be very clear (singapore's standard) due to much less light pollution from Singapore. If there is no haze and clouds to reflect back the light pollution from Singapore, it is possible to see to Mag 5 stars.

The sad part is, it is getting brighter with more street lights and it is rather inaccessible even with cars. My best view of Singapore's best sky is at Changi Naval Base area..
There are a few dark spots with no street lights in the base but apart from clearance needed to go there at night (even for staff) , another problem are stray dogs. They actually attack people!
However, the area next to the Singapore Yacht Club are actually fields like that in mersing except they have more grass and probably more snakes too.
But what you see in the base can be seen from these stretches of grassy areas along the sea. I saw wedding couples go there to take photos..
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Kamikazer

Post by Kamikazer »

There are a few dark spots with no street lights in the base but apart from clearance needed to go there at night (even for staff),
do u know where's the exact spot?
drop me a PM if its sensitive info...

tachyon, i dont know of any camp next to CNB... are u referring to changi airbase (east)? whats your unit?

i dont think the field near SAFYC are accessible to cars. a drain with railing lines the side of the road heading into the base. there is a break in the fencing somewhere but i cant see if the drain runs through it too... the drain isnt too deep, u could walk in (if u are hardcore enough), but to drive in, u would at least need a modified off road vehicle...
K.L. Lee
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Kamikazer wrote:tachyon, i dont know of any camp next to CNB... are u referring to changi airbase (east)? whats your unit?
Ah yes! Sorry, my mistake! My camp was next to Changi Air Base, not CNB! Now I'm not so envious anymore! Heh.. [smilie=embarrassed2.gif]
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]