Shanghai Eclipse July 09

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
chrisyeo

Shanghai Eclipse July 09

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to catch the eclipse on July 22nd in or around Shanghai. Anyone else going and can recommend where is the best to catch the eclipse?

Rgds,
Chris
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

its almost impossible to go without the astro-event masters, tachyon and gavin! [smilie=cool.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

hi guys, my apology i that i haven't posted here in ages. I was pretty much on astronomy hiatus up until the last annular solar eclipse in Indonesia.

I'm currently in Shanghai and I'm also planning to see and photograph the total eclipse. (it's going to be my first total eclipse)

I will probably observe around Fudan University area (Yang pu District, Pu Xi area), it's about 30 mins north of downtown.
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
Lee
Vendor

Re: Shanghai Eclipse July 09

Post by Lee »

chrisyeo wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm planning to catch the eclipse on July 22nd in or around Shanghai. Anyone else going and can recommend where is the best to catch the eclipse?

Rgds,
Chris
Chris,
How long you intend to stay there and your proposed travelling date and itinery ?

WK
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi WK,

Nothing confirmed yet, prob 18-22, fly back on 22nd.
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Regarding Shanghai, here is an interesting article on a planned viewing at Jinshanwei, a sea-side town south of Shanghai between Shanghai and Hangzhou, very near the centreline. It is probably an hour from Shanghai centre by train or bus, not sure whether either runs. The article has a map showing the areas of totality times

http://www.jasminechina.com/Ecl2009Site.htm

Does anyone have first hand experience with the smog condition in Shanghai? How prevalent is it there, i.e. how likely to affect visibility of the eclipse itself?
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

Hi starfinder,

I've been to Jinshan area since my uncle is being hospitalized there. The area around the hospital is really vast (open) with not many tall buildings. The air/pollution is also much better there than downtown Shanghai (of course, not many cars around too:). The hospital area is about 10-15mins from Jinshan's downtown by taxi, and yes it takes about 1 - 1.25 hours to get there with subway+bus from Shanghai's downtown.

I was actually considering to come to this area for the eclipse, but i'm not quite sure since it's quite far from my location.

The smog (or morning fog? or both [smilie=confused.gif] ) in Sh is quite bad in the morning.

Attached is a picture which I took this morning, we can see from the picture that the transparency is quite bad. But this shouldn't be a problem since the sun will be quite high at 9:39AM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Hi Aquillae,

A belated thanks for all the info and the photo on Shanghai/Jinshan!

If you have the info at hand, could you tell us exactly how to get to Jinshan from Shanghai? Which subway/bus station and bus number/name?

I wonder if thousands of Shanghai residents might all be headed there on the morning of the eclipse to get away from the smog.

Here is a webpage by Jay Andersen on his website ( http://www.eclipser.ca/ ) discussing the weather prospects for eclipse viewing, with much detailed discussion of prospects in China including Wuhan and Shanghai/Jinshan:
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~jander/tot ... survey.htm

It says:
"One of the better choices is at Jinshan (or Jinshanwei), a coastal city just north of the shadow axis. Jinshan has the distinction of being the site of a large artificial beach that is being constructed for the benefit of Shanghai and local residents.

Beachfront sites can be windy, and so prudence dictates a retreat of a few hundred metres inland to obtain shelter from the onshore winds. Prevailing winds in the Shanghai area are from the south and southeast, a direction that brings the cooler and cleaner air from the South China Sea onto the land – just what the doctor ordered."

Well, I still have my doubts about the Shanghai region because of the notorious smog, but it is very easy to get to from Singapore.

Hey Airconvent,

Thanks. You should go for this one!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

I check the local transport to Jinshan from Shanghai, only can get there bus or taxi. Train service terminated. To take a bus, the stop from shanghai is near Shanghai South Train station