Shanghai Eclipse July 09

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

I've come across this site which lists the Contact times of the total solar eclipse for various locations, including Shanghai, Hangzhou, Wuhan, Jinshan beach:

http://www.eclipsewx.com/index.php

Click "Planning Data" for Contact times.

"2nd Contact" is the moment of commencement of Totality.
"Max Eclipse" is self-explanatory
"3rd Contact" is the moment Totality ends.

E.g. at central Shanghai:-

Umbral duration: 5m 02.0s

....................Date Time............. Sun/Moon Alt Az
1st Contact 7/22 00:23:28.4...... 40.4 89.1
2nd Contact 7/22 01:36:50.3..... 56.0 100.1
Max Eclipse 7/22 01:39:21.0...... 56.6 100.5
3rd Contact 7/22 01:41:52.2..... 57.1 101.0
4th Contact 7/22 03:01:41.3...... 72.8 126.3

All times are UTC. China is UTC+8. Therefore, 01:36:50 is 9:36:50am in China.
hunding

Howto in Shanghai

Post by hunding »

Though the wheater forecast predicts rain at the moment here are some local detailes for Shanghai:

1.) If you intend to go to Jinshan (south beach region):

The first bus leaves at 6.05 am from Metro station Linhua Road (line 1, red line, southern direction to Xinzhuang). It takes the bus about one hour to the terminal station. To the beach you have to walk another while or you have to take a take (some minutes).

But you cannot reach this starting point at Metro station by puclic transport because the first Metro train is running around 6 am.

So if you want to sea the first contact (abt 8.21) get up early and take the first Metro train to Lianhua Road. The bus I mentioned runs every 30 minutes. There are two more busses which do not terminate equally narrow to the beach.

Now how to find the bus station:

Take at Lianhua Road Metro station the northern exit and you will see a pedestrians' brigde in front of you. Cross the street via this bridge and take the stairs down at left side. Walk on 20 metres and you are at the right bus stop. Ask people for the direction of "Shihua" or simply the beach.

2.) If you intend to Songjiang

There seems to be held a public event of an observatory in the district of Songjiang. Look at the site of Shanghai Daily, they reported.

Take Metro line 3 first to Yishan Road (direction of Xinzhuang). Do not take Metro line 4 which is running on the same track but does not stop at Yishan Road.

At station Yishan Road use the transfer walking to Metro line 9. It starts at Yishan Road so you do not need to care about the direction.

Take the next train of line 9 to the station named Sheshan (about 35 minutes). From the platform you can see on the right side some hills of which one has a church on top. Follow the crowds; I do not know about the further transport.

3.) The town of Jiaxing

Easiest way to be as near at the central line as possible, 80 kms southwest of Shanghai. The train needs about 50 ... 60 minutes from Shanghai Railway Station (Metro lines 3 and 4) or from Shanghai South Railway Station (Metro line 1).

Look at www.cnvol.com for an english language timetable and get your ticket at the railway station as soon as possible (at least one day in advance).

The ticket office at Shanghai Railway Station is outside the railway station: When coming upstairs from Metro station turn to the left and go upstairs (3rd floor). The very left counter (no. 1) is the english speaking counter.

The ticket office at Shanghai South Railway Station is in the station building (left side).

There are a few hotel rooms left in Jiaxing, book e. g. via www.elong.net. The location of each hotel is beeing marked on Google maps and you will get a booking confirmation in english and chinese language (to print out and thow it to the taxi driver or people in the street when looking for the bus). There are no hills in Jiaxing!

4.) New option for the case of rain (some even predict a thunderstorm): Staying in downtown Shanghai:

Because there will not be a landscape lighting (according to the report in Shanghai Daily) you will have an impression of the skyscrapers you will never get again.
sunjan

Post by sunjan »

I've been looking around for the most detailed forecast maps, to select a spot with the best chances, within 3 hours driving time or so from Shanghai.

This is what I've found:
http://www.yr.no/place/China/Shanghai/S ... d_map.html
http://7timer.y234.cn/V3/product.php?la ... 8.png&lo=0
http://www.meteoblue.com/index.php?id=3 ... zf_f=91769
http://www.nmc.gov.cn/publish/precipitation/2-day.htm

The YR.NO web site is by far the most detailed, but all maps conclude that best weather will probably be south of Hangzhou bay.
To me it looks like the coast east or south of Ningbo will be OK, at least no precipitation. And Meteoblue.com also points in that direction.

Like said earlier, the trade-off is shorter totality (approx 5.05 min) because it's further from the center line, but anything is better than staying in Shanghai.

I'm looking for people to share a taxi or minibus leaving early morning (5am or so) from Shanghai, tentatively aiming for the coastline off Ningbo. I'll be staying at Ramada Plaza Sino Bay, and my mobile number is +46-70 765 95 45 (Jan Sundström).
Call me ASAP if you'd like to join!