want to see comet lulin-new observer

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
dewaperang

want to see comet lulin-new observer

Post by dewaperang »

Hi,

Is there anybody can teach me how to see the lulin comet? Where would be the coolest spot in Singapore to see stars, planets and alike? I like doing photography. My telescope is kid version of edu science star tracker 288x.
[smilie=bleeding.gif]

Thanks,
dp
yybmage

Post by yybmage »

Try to get a pair of binos. These will be a great deal if you are talking about star clusters or even double or variable stars. Try go to chinese graden that part. Next to the MRT station there is a big field. Thats somewhere darker, try east and west coast as well. After a few months with a the bino get a scope, i'd say the Meade ETX 90 is a good start, but lets not talk about that now. [smilie=cheer.gif]
Blast off!!!!!!!
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

So can we see Comet Lulin in Singapore? What time can we see it? And which place in Singapore would be the best to observe Comet Lulin?
dewaperang

Post by dewaperang »

@ yybmage: Hi, thanks!...howmuch is the scope cost? where can i buy it?

@ guangwei: yea, iam wondering that as well. can anyone help us?
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Hi,

For the comet's current position and brightness, you may refer to Sky & Telescope's observing page at:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observin ... 92534.html

For general reference, the following free planetarium program (Stellarium) is quite good, though I don't think it comes pre-loaded with the comet's orbital elements:

http://www.stellarium.org/

In my view, the comet (now magnitude 5.3) would be quite difficult to spot from Singapore due to the heavy light pollution here. I managed to view it with quite some difficulty last week even with a computerised 8" goto telescope.

The comet is now in Leo (having just moved from Virgo) at due East, near Saturn. I think it rises in Singapore around 9pm now, so should be in the visible range from around 11pm onwards.

Don't want to disappoint you but I really think this comet is too faint to be readily viewed from Singapore.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Singastro member,
I want to tell you that Comet Lulin is now a naked eye object in Singapore.Last night(23 feb/24feb morning),I saw and even photograph it.I used a 120mm refractor (f/5) with a 32mm eyepiece using the afocal method.Our team(my kid and myself) watch it from 10.30pm till 2.30am till it gets cloudy.
To see it without go to system is easy.If you use your eye alone you will need very very clear sky(and Young too-for their eye is more sensitive!).If you have a 7x50 or larger aperture bino,or better still a 100mm refractor,use the longest focal length eyepiece possible.If you use a Mak,or a cassigrain,perhaps use 32mm to avoid "central darkening" due to the mirror.Use a good tripod with at least slow motion control. In the sky draw a virtual line perpendicular to the 3 star in Scorpius head.Let this line join three bright Singapore visible star-Spica(in Virgo),Saturn(the yellowish star that dont Twinkle),and Regulus(in Leo).Thats the path Lulin will roughly follow.Its now beside Saturn-to the Northern side of it.
Dont expect to see what you see in those internet"s photo.Those are long exposure photo-with guiding and expensive mount and photo editing software.You will see it as a HAZY PATCH,with perhaps a central dot(the comet).The patch is very clearly green in colour.
Happy observing !Thanks
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Yes, I've seen it too last night. It was an easy target as it was really close to Saturn. I used my 8x42 binoculars and got to see a little faint round fuzz. And like what the others said, don't expect it to be magnificant like in photos, because you will be disappointed.

Also, to add on to starfinder's Stellarium recommendation, you can add the comet to Stellarium using the methods shown here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kansashorizons/3224973728

Regards,
Zane
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Saturn rises at around 10pm. That means we have to wait till around 12-2am to see it more clearly unless you have a clear like of sight to the horizon (not at my place..bah!). Its been raining the whole day so I am guessing the night will clear up very nicely. [smilie=angel2.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

It's still blanketed with thin clouds right now, I doubt it will clear up tonight. Although I do want to take a look at the moons transiting Saturn tonight. ):
dx

Post by dx »

Airconvent wrote:Saturn rises at around 10pm.
Does it means that 10 pm looking at the East? about how many angles from the horizon? Thanks.

How about Comet Lulin (If we can see it), about what time and direction?
Last edited by dx on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.