Observation @ Buangkok MRT Open Field (7th March 2009)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Zephyrus

Observation @ Buangkok MRT Open Field (7th March 2009)

Post by Zephyrus »

If the skies clear up in time, I should be observing tonight between 9pm to 2am. Interested parties can contact me at nine-one-two-eight-one-6-4-1. Please sms me before you drop by to confirm if the session is on.

Location is as usual, the open field next to Buangkok MRT.
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Hmm, skies look pretty clear for moon-viewing. If the weather clears up somemore, I will head out to the field to stargaze, if not, I'll moongaze at my house area (walk down Buangkok MRT towards Hougang, there's a basketball court there). Please remember to sms me before you drop by!
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Alright, I'll be out on the field from 9.30pm onwards. Duration of the observation session may vary depending on the sky condition. If it's good, I may observe until 2am, if not, probably 12am.
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Just came back from my observation, alone. Hahaha. Well, today was really crystal clear between 9pm to 11.30pm. First, I had to look at the moon because I had just got my Meade variable polarizer, and the moon looks a lot better with my polarizer and 32mm! Hahaha.

I also managed to find some really good objects tonight. I managed to find the open cluster M41; it's pretty near Sirius, as well as the gobular cluster Omega Centauri. Both objects were on my "The Night Sky - David Chandler" planisphere, so it wasn't that hard locating that with my finderscope. Also observed the usual Orion, as well as the planet Saturn. Wanted to carry on looking for my third cluster, M35, when the clouds began to move in around 11.40pm, forcing me to end my session early. Packed up and left at 12am.

Oh well, that's all. I shall try to look for Jewel Box the next time. (:
ykchia

Post by ykchia »

Hi :

Yes noticed some patches of viewable sky last nite. In fact a night before feb 06 it was better. I sticked out a 75mm f1.4 video lens and bagged a few satellites. Then a jet was caught going pass the background orion...

http://nightevents.blogspot.com/2009/03 ... agger.html

Clear Sky!

rgds
yK
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Hehe, you meant on 6th March, not February. Yeah that night was great from 7pm all the way to 12pm. I was working at Dempsey Hill and I saw the moon clearly at 6.30pm in the blue sky as it rose. Too bad, by the time I was going home, the whole sky was filled with clouds. I also noticed about 2 jet streams in the sky last night.

By the way, after I looked at your post about the random meteor on 6th March, I'm beginning to think that I saw the meteor too on that night when I was working. It was a line, not sure how bright since I thought I was seeing things, and that the meteor went by too quickly. I can't remember the exact time, but it was going the South-West or West direction.
gchew

Re: Observation @ Buangkok MRT Open Field (7th March 2009)

Post by gchew »

Just wondering if any active singastro-ers here is still observing at the Buangkok field? Having moved to the area only in recent years, I realized that it's probably the only field nearby that is quite accessible and has good sky coverage. Plus, there's a kopitiam just across the road for supper. :mryellow: I'm looking forward to lug my photon-deprived scope out into the fields, or just to find observing kakis living in the same area.
CuriousOrion7
Favourite scope: celestron 80EQ

Re: Observation @ Buangkok MRT Open Field (7th March 2009)

Post by CuriousOrion7 »

Hi! I am from sengkang-compassvale area. Don't mind heading over to buangkok field sometime for obs :) But I am just a beginner though!