Solar Eclipse Myanmar 2010

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
boothee

Post by boothee »

universe24 wrote:Hi boothee, I here in Malaysia already have 4 persons are ready for the trip to somewhere near Mandalay for the eclipse. If you could help us (including singastro forumers) on the local arrangement, that will be very great and we appreciated.
It is my pleasure to help you the necessary arrangements.

In order to get more convenience for eclipse chasers, I've been arranging together with a tour operator here in Yangon. I'll let you know once I got the package.

My main idea is to make a package. But we found more convenience way with options. Why you don't want to travel to Shwebo, 3 hours drive from Mandalay. You will get the best view. I'm arranging to make shelters, refreshments, etc., Of course it is OK and I still can help you if you insist to view from Mandalay.

1) From Mandalay-Observation Site-Mandalay
2) Normal tours with variety of options.

- If you want to visit eclipse site only, you can choose no. 1)
- If you also want to travel around the country, you can choose normal tour programs with variety of options.

But of course it would be very nice if you could let me know how many days you want to spend around the country. So I can check out with the tour operator for the best options.

If you need any information, please feel free to let me know.

Cheers!

:)
boothee
1150mm, 254mm, Newtonion Reflector on EQ5 Mount with dual axis DK3 drive, QHY5 Camera, Canon 300D + Kit Lens, Yangon, Myanmar.
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

universe24 wrote:
Hi,

I am going to Hangzhou. The exactly observation side will be confirm one day before the eclipse happen. Where are you going then?
Hi Wei Loon,

My intention is to go somewhere around Jiaxing (central line, 5m52s totality), which is less 2 hours from Shanghai. I've also heard a few other Singastro members going Hangzhou for this eclipse.

Regards,
Jia Hao
Clear skies please...
universe24

Post by universe24 »

Hi boothee,

Thank you very much for your offer.
Actually, I got no idea about the best observation site. I got no insist to view it at Mandalay. If you have better suggestion, of course I will consider...since you know better than anyone here in this forum.

My plan is very simple, stay somewhere near to the observation site a day before the eclipse day. Then to the eclipse site on eclipse day in the early morning. After the eclipse, would like to stay for 3-4 nights to take astrophotography (deep sky & landscape) at night.

I still remember that when I am in China last year for the total eclipse, we, a group of 3 spent two days to survey observation site. On the eclipse day, we already at the observation site on 11am in the morning although the eclipse start around 6pm...

Jia Hao,
Jiaxing should be a very good place to observe the eclipse. Malaysia got a group of eclipse chaser also go there.
But me will stay around Hangzhou.
universe24

Post by universe24 »

2009 total solar eclipse has over.
Now the time think of coming annular in Myanmar.....
boothee

Post by boothee »

Observing and taking photograph from Bagan would be a lot cheaper and convenient than traveling to ShweBo.

But there are many other interesting landscapes in Mandalay that you can combine with eclipse.

Feel free to ask me if you need any info.

Cheers!

boothee

*** Still can't manage to go and check the observation site in ShweBo as I'm broke for the time being....

:mryellow:
1150mm, 254mm, Newtonion Reflector on EQ5 Mount with dual axis DK3 drive, QHY5 Camera, Canon 300D + Kit Lens, Yangon, Myanmar.
universe24

Post by universe24 »

Yes, I would like to know the choice of domestic flight from Yangoon to Bagan. Could you help?
Thanks.
adamjoetan

Solar Eclipse 2010

Post by adamjoetan »

Hi! I was wondering if i could go for the expedition.
boothee

Post by boothee »

Hi,

We have Air Bagan, Yangon Airways, etc.,

You can fly from Yangon to Bagan or Mandalay. If you want a cheaper trip, you can ride a express bus but you will need a local English speaking guide.

boothee
gchew

Post by gchew »

Tachyon wrote:
jiahao1986 wrote:
Tachyon wrote:Hmm... should I go to Myanmar in 15 Jan or the Easter Island on 11 July?

Decisions... decisions... maybe I will go both!

Jiahao - Bagan is SW to Mandalay, which is away from the central line... maybe a location N to NW of Mandalay would be more appropriate?
Andrew,

Go for both lah, considering the Jan 15 eclipse is not far from Singapore.

Actually I'm thinking of observing the eclipse on a hot air balloon in Bagan, doubling the excitement, though the condition in the afternoon may not be suitable for air balloon flying.

The length of annularity is 7m50s in Bagan, which is very long already, though the ring won't be perfectly central. Anyway Bagan should be more accessable than NW of Mandalay.

P.S. You are planning to go Easter Island for the July 10 eclipse? I'm thinking of going Cook Island NE of New Zealand for the eclipse. At least we can pay a visit to New Zealand for photography before or after the eclipse in case we don't see the eclipse due to bad weather. However the visa to New Zealand and the expenses (4k, estimated) of the trip will be a big problem for me.

Jia Hao
Yes, NZ is quite expensive... been there once before a blew a small fortune... not sure if I can sustain another blow to my bank account!

The Islands are quite small. I think we have to book now if we want to get a place!
I've been thinking about going for the Jul 11 2010 eclipse too. But as I was looking through the google map for the eclipse track, I realized that there isn't that many islands to observe the eclipse from.

For the Cook Islands, the totality path passes through an island called Mangaia, which doesn't offer much in the choice of accomodation. A better base would be the largest island of the group - Rarotonga - which is unfortunately a few tens of kilometres from the path of totality. One would need to take a cruise to a spot south of the island to get into the totality path. Alternatively, one could also stay at the main island of Tahiti (French Polynesia) and take a cruise out.

Is anyone else thinking of observing this eclipse?
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Hi Boothee!

It's Oct now and I need to make flight bookings... how's the planning for the event coming along?

Thank you for organizing this!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]