Sidewalk Astronomy (Obs) on Sat 22nd May, at Marina Barrage

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
majestic

Post by majestic »

The skies are clearing - could be good tonight at ECP if people are still going...
bharat

Post by bharat »

From various messages, I get the impression that there are going to be 2 different sessions - one at ECP tonight and another at MB tomorrow.

My understanding is that the one at ECP tonight is just the normal obs session while the one at MB tomorrow is the sidewalk, open for public. Is my understanding correct?
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi Bharat,

Both sessions are opened for all, including members of the public. In fact most if not all the astro obs sessions are open to all, regardless of singastronians or not, this is more or less de facto position.
dragoncai2008

Post by dragoncai2008 »

i got PM from Clifford60, tonight EC obs session is confirmed, so I will go there to know these veterans. tomorrow I will also go to see the MB place. from internet photos, seems the place is good for ob.

thanks Clifford60 for your notice.
I Like DIY.
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Last night's event was a resounding success for the observation group at the ecp carpark C4/D1. Met some veteran star-gazers for the first time like clifford and also new members like CaImmrts and DragonCai. The southern skies were extremely clear except for moments of interruption by fleeting low altitude clouds. In fact, last night was one of the clearest for SG considering that it had been raining for all this while. There were 2 scopes present, a 8 inch newtonian and a 8 inch newtonian/cassegrain hybrid and clifford brought along his giant 25X100 binos and also a smaller bino by HK grandeye.

The singastro folks there were clifford, Guangwei, Caleb, Donis, Kevin family, Remus. Something to mention about clifford's Grandeye bino, it really gave the celestial objects a 3D feel especially the moon, felt as if it is just in-front of you and you can grab hold of it; not like other binos that have a very "fake, cut out of magazine" view. Well, next time any newbie complain that binos are no good for astro, just let them view through this little device and it will blow their mind away. As for the giant bino, it is easy to operate and searching for DSOs is just a breeze with it's large FOV. The views in the bino are very much brighter than the telescopes no doubt not being able to resolve the individual stars. In fact, playing around with the giant bino was the most fun and yet memorable event for last night's stargazing.

The DSO sen that night were mainly from scorpious, saggitarius, centaurus, crux and carina. Some DSO are un-verifiable as we do not have atlases at hands. The other DSOs are more famous ones and those that I can recall, such as Jewel Box, NGC5139, M22, M6, M7, M4, IC2602, NGC3114, H12, Cr316, Tr24, NGC6231, and many more.

As for Caleb, I went back to check wikipedia and I would correct what I told you yesterday. It is not just Australia and New Zealand that have the southern cross on their national flag. Apparently, Papau New Guniea, Brazil and Samoa, Tokelau also have that nice little southern icon on their national flags. Lets hope that tonight's event at the MB will also be a great success. Cheers... and clear skies.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

See you guys tonight at MB. :lol: Unless rain, will be there, cloud still can see something up there.
Last edited by Clifford60 on Sat May 22, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Nice report fizzy. What time did you guys left the place?
rlow

Post by rlow »

Glad to know that you guys enjoyed the clear skies last
night!

We will probably head down to MB slightly earlier tonight, maybe around 7.30pm, rain(cloud) or (moon)shine. Anyone who would like to car-pool or need our assistance with carrying equipment can pm or SMS me.
Richard Low
Gary

Post by Gary »

I should be there tonight. Have not been there before. Which part of MB to meet? Surfing their website now.
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Meet at the roof top where there's grass.