Sidewalk Astronomy (Obs) on Sat 22nd May, at Marina Barrage

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

I think ECP would be a better location. I have once tried to observe with my friends at the MB before, but I doubt it is conducive and effective for reasons listed as below.

1) The location is quite inconvenient and out-of-place for non-drivers. From what I know, there is only one bus that goes to MB, the frequency is not that high (~15-20mins) and the bus service ends quite early, so it means you can't observe for long.

2) There are lotsa of bugs and mozzies flying around. Can be irritating, considering that it had been raining much recently, so the mozzies problem might get worst.

3) No doubt you can draw a large crowd for this event, but there are other activites carried out by others that might be a nuisance for star-gazing, e.g. kite flying, flying aerial vehicles, plus there are children playing catching on the grass lawn, thus there is a hazard that the children might accidentally knock into the setup. Ocassionally, the auto sprinklers might also be activated, thus this is also a potential cause of concern
rlow

Post by rlow »

1. Both places can be inconvenient for those taking bus. Try hitching a ride out, & I am fine with offering rides in my car.

2. This can apply to anywhere we observe, ECP, MB etc. We had no problem with mozzies at MB the last time. I would think this may be more likely to
be an issue at a big park area like ECP than at a rooftop lawn like MB.

3. We observe near the lift lobby structure, which is avoided by kites. We had no problem with kites or kids at MB at the last occasion. These may be potential issues at either location, so we have to take care. I don't think MB will programed the auto-sprinklers to be activated at such hours when the public are on the lawn.
Richard Low
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

I suggest the organizer just fix a time and place at his convenience and announce it asap because there will never be the perfect place in the universe where everyone in is happy.

cheers
cc
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
dragoncai2008

Post by dragoncai2008 »

Hahah, I used to go out with a few my hobby friends to EC park, Lim Chu Kang... but would like to know more friends if this Friday party is granted by good weather!
I Like DIY.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

OK, looks like more will be free to go on Sat at Marina Barrage. So this weekend session will be there from 8.30pm. See you guys there.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Have an unconfirmed outing this Saturday, and if not happening I'll make it for Saturday!

Personally ok with Friday/Saturday....anywhere is fine. If to far I won't grab anything, unless it's easy for me to lug my stuff! Currently not possible as I need to get an AltAz mount for stuff like these....lol!

Hope for clear skies, if not kopi tiams...!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
CaImmrts

Post by CaImmrts »

Does anyone know how to get from Choa Chu Kang interchange to East Coast Park/ Thanks.
majestic

Post by majestic »

Where do you guys set up at MB? Are you fairly close to the car park?
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

The roof top garden near the lift
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

CaImmrts wrote:Does anyone know how to get from Choa Chu Kang interchange to East Coast Park/ Thanks.
Hi Caimmrts, are you going tonite? If yes, do check ur pte msg. I have just sent you with regards to this matter