Singastro East Coast Park (ECP) Observation Site

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Desmond_T
Favourite scope: Celestron Tavelscope 70

Re: Singastro East Coast Park (ECP) Observation Site

Post by Desmond_T »

Hahaha. We ever had the thought of the sniper team thingy. But we were so close to where the planes were flying, we dared not point any lasers into the sky. Later ob halfway, ISD come and arrest us. lol [smilie=dead.gif]
Clear skies~
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Correct me if im wrong, but it seems that the GRS of Jupiter seems to have faded (in terms of the redness) in recent years.? back in JC years and 2005 i remember seeing it quite often as Jupiter has a very fast rotation..

regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

according to the GRS calculator it is not really possible in the near future as it seems pretty hard to get a fix a date it will be convenient to see it. as Juptier is visible for only a couple of hours before sunrise..
Born to be Free
Gary

Post by Gary »

bornfree wrote:according to the GRS calculator it is not really possible in the near future as it seems pretty hard to get a fix a date it will be convenient to see it. as Juptier is visible for only a couple of hours before sunrise..
@bornfree - Convenient is subjective. :) For those who wake up early should not be a problem. I remember trying an experiment to see how long can Jupiter be seen in the morning sky through my C8 in Singapore. One clear morning, I managed to see Jupiter through my C8 until about 7:20am when I got bored and stopped tracking it manually. :)

In addition to GRS, there are also shadow transits to look at.

@antares2063 - Yes. GRS is not so R now. It's more like light fleshy colour.

Actually this thread is about ECP observation site(s). So I think we are getting out of topic. In future, observation reports should be posted as a separate thread. :)

So coming back on topic about this alternative ECP observation site, what are the nearby facilities that is conducive for stargazing/sidewalks? Any recent photos of this ob spot? From google street view, it looks good with concrete pavement and potential sidewalk crowd from the diners at the nearby restaurants: https://maps.google.com.sg/?ll=1.305704 ... 8,,0,-6.44
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

sorry, my bad for getting off topic.

If its the D1 coconut trees patch, there's a toilet within walking distance, a provision shop (actually its a bike and skates rental) and there's even a fitness corner for pull up and sit ups for those who wanna keep fit aha. It is near a carpark for those who need to park ..

as for the site near Lagoon 360 water-ski, i guess bornfree and Desmond-T can elaborate more..

regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

the area is quite windy at times, so the bigger the scope the shakier it can get.
there is a pub nearby, toilet is not an issue. do prepare red led torch during dark nights..
Born to be Free
Desmond_T
Favourite scope: Celestron Tavelscope 70

Post by Desmond_T »

Oh, and also beware of cyclists there. Some of them were going at breakneck speeds. What we did was hung a light stick around our tripod so they could see and avoid us. It's advisable to do it if you don't want your scope to take part in Tour de France.
Clear skies~