Get a Canon DSLR for AP or just stick to my Nikon

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Get a Canon DSLR for AP or just stick to my Nikon

Post by joachim.ong »

Hi! Kinda new to this forum here - first post :)

Ok so... I have been into astrophotography for awhile now and shot little bit here and there. I own a Nikon D5000. Have been thinking of somehow getting it modified, but then stumbled upon some comments and articles on the internet mainly about Nikons applying the median filter to RAW images. So I was thinking whether it would actually be a smarter option to get myself a second hand Canon camera solely for AP and get it modified. (Well my D5000 will still be my beloved day camera so it wont be wasted :)). If I really should go for this option, then what Canon DSLR should I get? (Dont get too extravagant please...)
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

can consider a 550d or 500d. Produces good results
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hello! I'm a Nikon user too!
Personally the way I feel is that since I'm not at the very pro level where this will make a great difference (I just like pretty pictures), I'll stick to my trusty Nikon.
On the other hand, modded Canons are available resale on Astromart ranging from low hundreds to 1K+ depending on model.
A thought to consider: If you're getting a camera solely for astro use, you might want to consider an Astro CCD. It will require the use of a laptop to control but will feature the added benefits of absence of low-pass filter, usually higher sensitivity and often, cooling, which is a great feature in hot Singapore :)
Why not post some of your pictures here for compliments (mainly... heh heh) and some critique on technique so you can see where your dollars are best spent? :)
DON'T PANIC
joachim.ong

Post by joachim.ong »

Erm... How do you post a photo? lol But anyway, being a student, I have limited finances to work with. I heard CCDs are into the four digit ranges which is kinda abit out of range for me now. Because I wanted to modify my D5000, but since it is not too expensive I thought why not get a cheaper Canon first then stick with it til I have enough to buy a CCD...
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

You need to first post your pictures on a photo website. Personally I use
www.picasaweb.com
Its owned by google so it can't be evil *grin*
Next, when posting, use the "post reply" tab which will bring you to the full-page form. There are some tabs there to insert image URL next to the bold/italics tabs.
Not all CCDs are that expensive. Some of the cheaper CCDs can produce very decent images but of course the high ends ones do indeed cost a few Ks.
Do surf www.cloudynights.com and www.astromart.com for the indicative prices of used canon DSLRs. You'll also get an idea on the prices of used CCDs then decide if its worth your money :)
Just curious: what is your current setup? :)
DON'T PANIC
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Put a 'want to buy' at Clubsnap, I am sure some people will part with a used Canon 350D or 400D between $200 to $400. If use it solely for astro works on a shoestring, you can just removed the internal filter without a need for a replacement to boost its sensitivity. I know the innards of the 350D like the back of my hands ( after 'operated' a few for my own astro works), if you can get hold of one, I am most willing to help you with the mod. For the most bang for the buck, nothing comes close to these Canon cameras. :lol:
joachim.ong

Post by joachim.ong »

Yeah I search the clubsnap forum and found quite a number selling these cams. Would the 450D be a better idea since it has liveview? Found this guy selling at $400 so maybe a bit of extra investment would help make my life a bit easier when focusing XD But i thought that it is necessary to replace the low-pass filter with some other one for AP? But anyway I will be using an LPR so maybe it isnt necessary.
Btw my setup is the CG-5 mount and the Celestron C8
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Joachim. Welcome to Singastro! What took you so long to post? :P Looking forward to your AP contributions. Based on what I saw so far, its gonna be amazing. Have fun in this forum. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
joachim.ong

Post by joachim.ong »

Haha thx. Got caught up a little in my studies so had to push aside astro as i usually do during term time. So then decided to use this short school holiday to read up more then some questions arose so it was time to start asking... :P
bharat

Post by bharat »

I have read about Nikon cameras applying median filter to RAW images. I am interested in knowing what this does exactly to astropictures. Eg. If we compare picture of the same DSO taken with say a Nikon and Canon camera what differences can we expect to see, both obvious and not so obvious?