Jupiter at Opposition

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
cataclysm

Re: Jupiter at Opposition

Post by cataclysm »

rcj wrote:thanks everyone! am grateful for the right mix of sky conditions at the appropriate opposition period rather than the equipment used. Seeing is so very important. Had two previous sessions prior but didn't even bother processing them much. Sometimes even if it appears to be clear, but with numerous low passing cumulus, seeing may not be good (low air flows), and one might get better result with slight haze present. The scope is the same one all these years being used - Tak CN212 which is discontinued. It is slower than an equivalent Mewlon - at F12.4, and imaged with a 3X barlow. LOTS of time was spent achieving focus instead....as focus point can change with time even if one seemed to achieve focus a time period earlier. Throughout this session, I had to do refocusing every 10 minutes. I'll be damned to say that even the C11 and C14 images taken this season of Jupiter somehow did not show as much details as this lucky opposition session with the CN212 which is bearly 8". I think we are in a very attractive location, mirroring the thoughts of Jiahao! Quick observe/take Jupiter these days while u can!

CN version posted here.

Yes couldn't agree more, 3 cardinal rules of planetary imaging: Seeing, Seeing and yes Seeing. We are well situated for good planetary works.....wonder why not more people are doing it.... :P
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

poison!!!!!
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

That's a lot of details! It was cloudy here on opposition night and I didn't get to see anything :(
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Zong... you are in Seattle.... You can't have picked a better place in the US... :mrgreen:
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!