Unedited Solar Images from Jan 2012 onwards

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Re: Unedited Solar Images from Jan 2012 onwards

Post by yltansg »

X-flare Capture

Caught AR2242 releasing a strong X1.8 flare in CAK in between passing clouds this morning at 8:34am. The H-Alpha image was taken at 8:04 am before the flare. Glad to have got it in this Monsoon season :)

superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi Alfred
Yes its not easy to capture a flare as it happens.Fantastic capture and thanks for sharing.
Did you get it after the alert from spaceweather or from continuous monitering or is there
some new technique.I think the cak one is super nice.thanks.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Hi Mr Chia,

Quote: [Yes its not easy to capture a flare as it happens.Fantastic capture and thanks for sharing. Did you get it after the alert from spaceweather or from continuous monitering or is there some new technique.I think the cak one is super nice. thanks.]

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have been watching AR2242's flaring pattern for a few days on the Tesis website. Spaceweather also reported that both sunspots AR2241 and AR2242 have delta-class magnetic fields that harbor energy for X-class solar flares. Just decided to look at it yesterday morning before taking the children out to Botanic Garden. No new technique. Just there at the right time :)

The following are snapshots from Tesis website showing AR2242 flarings on 19 and 20 Dec 14.

superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi Alfred
You are really lucky.....from spaceweather its known that it just flare once and you catch it at the right moment.Congrad and thanks for sharing and keep them coming.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

The Sun has been rather quiet for the first few days of 2015. Now AR 2253 may change that. Today 2253 flared several times and it has 'beta-gamma-delta' magnetic field that harbors energy for X-class solar flares. Here are the images taken today in between clouds. The H-Alpha image was taken when 2253 was ejecting a C-class flare at 9+ am.

The 3 perspectives of the Sun by looking at 3 different wavelengths; the surface, the lower and upper atmosphere.

A zoom-in view of AR2253 in white light:
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi Alfred
Nice photos.Thanks for sharing.If the sun follows the pattern exhibited in the last cycle then these cycle type of activities will continue for the next 3.5 to 4 yr . After that the solar minimum will be reach.Hope that
the fulture show will not be too boring.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Hi Superiorstream - Thanks for sharing your take on the solar cycle. Agree that we have a couple of years of solar maxima. Caught a couple of small flares from AR 2253 which has potential for strong X flares. I believe it is worth watching...

H-Alpha close-up of AR2253 - it was flaring when I took this pic.

H-Alpha close-up of the Eastern Limb - nice prominences

CAK close-up of AR 2253 - taken soon after a C-flare was released

The black and white version was elected Solar Picture of the Day at http://solarchat.natca.net/

Last edited by yltansg on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi Alfred
Congrad to being selected photos of the day.Do keep them coming . Thanks for sharing.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Post by kochu »

Nice work and Congrats, Alfred

Kochu
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

Went to Chia's place today to try solar imaging. Used my ASI120 through Chia's H-Alpha and Calcium K telescopes (thanks Chia).

Not easy .... it is very hot ... and it is difficult to catch the right exposure and focus due to sun shining directly onto my laptop screen ... But here are my half-baked attempts