Unedited Solar Images from Jan 2012 onwards

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Clifford60

Re: Unedited Solar Images from Jan 2012 onwards

Post by Clifford60 »

Very nice, thank you for sharing.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Thanks Alfred for the photos....they are great and require great effort as the sun is available for a brief period in this rainy season.
As for me....thanks to kkk26.He will be hosting the image for me. So I will be submitting the images soon.
Meantime will try to monitor 2192/2209 for flares/gas ejection/bright lightbridge.
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Post by yltansg »

AR2209 has turned out to be a pale shadow of its former self. It discharged 4 small C-class flares over the last 2 days. This Hydrogen-Alpha image was taken on 21 Nov 14, 10am.

This was how it looked in Cal-K.

superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Alfred
Thanks for sharing the photos.Yes you are right,in fact 2192 has shrink in size to around 200,000 km and one of its
core dark area 'disappeared'.With this fact its expected to be on the decaying side of its lifecycle.In fact I had stop
monitering it at 0.9A.
Now for the submitting of my photos from sunspot 2192 on the aspect of massive gas ejection from that sunspot---
something I had NEVER observe before with that scale and almost 'horizontally'--here goes-----
This submittion consists of 8 photos of hugh gas ejection of sunspot 2192.Only hugh
ejection of gas--of the order of from 200,000km to 600,000km(estimated) long
qualify.As can be seen,these were recorded at least 3 times.Somehow,the gas were
projected almost 'horizontally' and in one direction.Also as seen,the gas 'dark
cloud'were only detected some distance from the sunspot--indicating cooling of the
energtic gas--and its still straight.The whole episode in general lasted around half
an hour but its worthy to note that in one incident the whole nearly 400,000km
long gas tail builds up in around 6 mins--and if one calculates its speed, its estimated
to be around over 1000mach.Fantastic.(this perhaps explain its lack of CME reaching earth)
It should be noted that this is the FIRST TIME I record such 'large scale'horizontal
gas ejection.Previous gas ejection(mostly within the first 6 month of this cycle 24)
were all in the vicinity of the sunspot.
KKK26
Favourite scope: All nice scopes

Post by KKK26 »

Posting photo on behalf of superiorstream

superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,All
Thanks kkk26 for the upload.As for the images,pls pardon me for its poor quality because of bad atmospheric condition.As these are
once in a lifetime shot,dont have much of a choice.
Next will submit photos of the M7 and above flares of sunspot 2192.Here goes.....
This submittion consisted of 5 photos of 2192--these are rare photos because its not easy to shot a solar flare as its duration is short normally(1 to 3 mins).Its only under continuous
monitering that I can get these.Its taken using a Ha filter of slightly wider bandwidth
of around 0.9A.As can be seen in the photos,it started with a lightning like structure and
conclude with a bright dot.Even before leaving the earth facing side,sunspot 2192 flare.Altogether
I photo it flaring three times.
Again thanks kkk26 for the upcoming upload.
KKK26
Favourite scope: All nice scopes

Post by KKK26 »

Posted on behalf of superiorstream

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Hi Mr Chia,

Great catches!! Thanks for sharing.

You must have lie in ambush to catch the Sun when it came out of the clouds :)

That was what I did on 22 Nov (Sat). Here is the the Sun in H-Alpha, minutes before AR2209 flared.

Here is a zoom-in view on AR2209 when it was flaring:

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

The Sun on 2 Dec 14. Caught these around the time when AR2222 (the big spot slightly below the middle) ejected a C2.2 flare.

Needs lots of patience to get them as there were lots of passing clouds during this NE Monsoon season.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Firstly thanks kkk26 for the upload.
Yes,Alfred shooting the sun is no easy task......esp
Flares/gas ejection.I 'assemble' 11 scopes ,each with
different capabilities just for that purpose.With my
experences from 1980,I notice even to a extend sunspot types also obey the 11 yrs cycle.Thus I strongly suspect the Big sunspot of 28 oct 2003
will "show up again" somewhere around oct 2014.
It did!!and this time,I am ready with all the needed scopes.
And even with that its hard work.For almost 10 days
all appointments cancelled and taking a peep at the sun every 15/20 min with 3 to 5 scopes all aiming at
the sun.
For your info,I loss 2 layer of skin!!