Ultra-big-size Milky Way Mosaic

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
jiahao1986

Re: Ultra-big-size Milky Way Moasic

Post by jiahao1986 »

Mariner wrote:(O_O)"
Gary wrote:Awesome!!!
Bergkamp_ wrote:this is amazzzzzzzzzing!!!
cataclysm wrote:OMG!!! Hats off! [smilie=cute.gif]
Clifford60 wrote:wow, lost of word
weixing wrote:Hi,
WOW!! [smilie=good-job.gif] [smilie=good-job.gif] Amazing moasic!! Milky Way Poster... Photographic Star Chart! [smilie=admire.gif]

Have a nice day.
Thanks for the compliments guys~ [smilie=cute.gif]
Clear skies please...
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

rlow wrote:Truly amazing, Jiahao! Did you also do a mozaic of the whole sky?

Now i feel shy to post my mini-milkyway shot...haha!
Hey man,

I would've been too much effort to do a mosaic of the whole sky with the 50mm lens. I did come out with a few whole-sky-mosaic with the 15mm fisheye. Will post in a seperate thread later~
Clear skies please...
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

kochu wrote:Gigantic effort jiahao!!!. You should make a wall paper out of it and cover walls of your room..
Kochu/28-6-12
Sam Lee wrote:Print and paste on the room ceiling!
Thanks guys. Talking about a wall-sized print, guess it would be more expensive than the lens I used for this mission, haha~
Clear skies please...
kensou

Re: Ultra-big-size Milky Way Mosaic

Post by kensou »

[smilie=admire2.gif] [smilie=admire2.gif]

omg mega awesome-ness!!
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

really huge effort there, Jiahao! Did u process it with a supercomputer? :p
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

I just read this thread today.

Simply amazing photo, Jiahao! Thanks for sharing. I was wondering when the photo would end bec it kept loading and loading downwards on my PC monitor!

I think there must be well over a million individual stars captured in the photo, esp the full-sized version.

Looks like the prize-won Polarie was put to very good use! And I would like to have a look at it...

A question: when you were taking the 34 frames to make up the full Milky Way mosaic, did you have any particular method for ensuring that the 34 frames were properly framed relative to each other, without gaps or too much overlapping? E.g. did you simply look at the stars through the viewfinder of the camera and then estimated where the next shot should be? Or did you plan and mark out on a piece of paper or star atlas where each frame would be before shooting? The whole process of framing the shots 34 times over must have been very tedious.
kohjb

Post by kohjb »

Hi Jiahao,

Amazing image! Absolutely stunning, and world-class I would say!

I was curious how you managed to upload such a large photo here...I always thought we were limited to only small photos :-)

Other than that, agree with Gary...can you explain more of how you processed the images? Was there any field curvature that you had to take care of with the 50mm lens or did they all stitch together quite nicely.

Joo Beng
starfinder wrote:I just read this thread today.

Simply amazing photo, Jiahao! Thanks for sharing. I was wondering when the photo would end bec it kept loading and loading downwards on my PC monitor!

I think there must be well over a million individual stars captured in the photo, esp the full-sized version.

Looks like the prize-won Polarie was put to very good use! And I would like to have a look at it...

A question: when you were taking the 34 frames to make up the full Milky Way mosaic, did you have any particular method for ensuring that the 34 frames were properly framed relative to each other, without gaps or too much overlapping? E.g. did you simply look at the stars through the viewfinder of the camera and then estimated where the next shot should be? Or did you plan and mark out on a piece of paper or star atlas where each frame would be before shooting? The whole process of framing the shots 34 times over must have been very tedious.
Celestron 9.25SGT, Meade ETX125, Orion ED80
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

oh wow!!!! That's is amazing! Thanks for sharing..
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets