My Astrophotography Progress (in random order)

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: My Astrophotography Progress (in random order)

Post by Airconvent »

Impressive! With the NDP rehearsals approaching, you will have another chance to catch the fighter right inside the moon!
Such as this :

Source : http://www.enchantedlearning.com/shimme ... 1127.shtml
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
DarthCryder
Favourite scope: Nikon 85mm/f1.4 lens

Post by DarthCryder »

oops there was a mistake that abt the info posted earlier.

amended:
35mm/f2.0, 8secs exposure, iso 200, total 80 shots. shot nearby marina bay stn open field.

if anyone been there and also the "recommended ECP location", which is darker? anyway to enhance further the foto?

Last edited by DarthCryder on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Milky! Nice shot and processing. Thanks for sharing.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

DarthCryder wrote:oops there was a mistake that abt the info posted earlier.

amended:
35mm/f2.0, 8secs exposure, iso 200, total 80 shots. shot nearby marina bay stn open field.

if anyone been there and also the "recommended ECP location", which is darker? anyway to enhance further the foto?
This is a very nice photo!!! I am really happy to see another photographer capturing the MW in Singapore!!!

George
DarthCryder

Post by DarthCryder »

thanks!

anw i wondered is there this "frog in the well 井底之蛙" effect in work?
cos i tried shooting from my kitchen window(cam & lens nv really protrude out the window), it seem less noisier(more stars oso?) than if i shoot outside with minimal street lightings with about the same settings. havent really processed those kitchen shot cos tried only taking a few oso to try out.
looyaa wrote: This is a very nice photo!!! I am really happy to see another photographer capturing the MW in Singapore!!!

George
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

DarthCryder wrote:thanks!

anw i wondered is there this "frog in the well 井底之蛙" effect in work?
cos i tried shooting from my kitchen window(cam & lens nv really protrude out the window), it seem less noisier(more stars oso?) than if i shoot outside with minimal street lightings with about the same settings. havent really processed those kitchen shot cos tried only taking a few oso to try out.
Yes it does have a light "ring" in your work. I am wondering why is this so. [smilie=confused.gif] But nevertheless, this is definitely good work and you have a lot of data (80 shots) which I believe that you can further enhance it with other pp methods.

Shooting without any major light sources nearby is definitely ideal. I always tried to look for places where there is no nearby light or at least 100-200m away from nearby street lights. Also I will use lens hood to prevent any stray lights from the sides to be captured by cam. If you can see the part of the sky with MW from inside the house, no harm trying to shoot without protruding the cam & lens out of the windows. Hope to see more works on Singapore MW from you! Cheers!
DarthCryder

Post by DarthCryder »

this is an enhanced(overly done?) PS version of the last MW foto. not really an PS expert though.
bottom left color most probably caused by those super bright white construction light and the majority amber color on the right was those from those PSA terminal.

DarthCryder

Post by DarthCryder »

another shot of MW using

85mm/f2.0 at 2secs exposure for 30 light & 10 dark.

seem i have pointed at a slightly wrong position as i wanted to have that 2 globular clusters in the the centre...

Gary

Post by Gary »

DarthCryder wrote:... as i wanted to have that 2 globular clusters in the the centre...
Hi DarthCryder.

Another nice Milky Way in SG shot. Thanks for sharing!

Just want to mention the 2 clusters you mentioned in reference to your photo are actually classified as open clusters (M6, M7), and not globular clusters. Most of us will be able to understand what you meant in context with that photo even though you are using the wrong astronomical term to describe them. Just want to share that with you in case in the future your photos captured a few open clusters and globular clusters and readers who are able to differentiate between these 2 different types may be confused which 2 you are trying to center. :)

You may find out about celestial objects classifications in the free Stellarium desktop software (www.stellarium.org).

So continue to have fun and keep shooting!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
DarthCryder

Post by DarthCryder »

oops! almost 30yrs lost touch with astro terms with similarity… globular cluster shld be closely packed stars in a group, while open r "sparsely" group.