Broadband DSLR + LP Filter

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
yyD70S

Broadband DSLR + LP Filter

Post by yyD70S »

Greetings to everyone.

Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum; this being my first post.

I would like to start out with wide-field astrophotography. I have currently a broadband (full spectrum; clear glass) DSLR (Nikon D90) for my UV+IR photography stuff. Am wondering if

(1)this be a useful beginner's camera for imaging (or more modifications beckon)
(2)would a basic light pollution filter (e.g. the Hoya Red Enhancer; didymium) be useful on top of point #1
(3)I'll be capturing in the raw format but would still appreciate a ball-park as to white balance; with & without the LP filter

Current lens being the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8. It's not the best at 17mm with regards to coma but I'll live with this for the time being.

Thank you very much in advance.
orly_andico

Re: Broadband DSLR + LP Filter

Post by orly_andico »

If it has an IR-transparent filter for daytime IR, then that's already very good for capturing nebulae.

I would suggest you get the IDAS LPS-P2 filter, but the challenge is they don't make that filter large enough for the 17-35 (and if IDAS did, it would be very expensive).

The IDAS LPS-P2 in 48mm thread will screw onto the front of a Nifty Fifty with step-down ring (the Nifty Fifty is 49mm thread). As the Nifty Fifty is f1.8, even if you stop down to f2.8 it will still be quite fast.

The problem with DSLR's in general is that you cannot do very long exposures (more than 1 or 2 minutes) due to dark noise. Some people mod their DSLR's and add a cooler; others just leave the DSLR in an ice box then take it out to shoot.
MooEy

Re: Broadband DSLR + LP Filter

Post by MooEy »

I believe the replacement for the LPS-P2, which is the LPS-D1 comes in 77mm size.

~MooEy~