Milky Way at East Coast Park by Justin Ng

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Gary

Milky Way at East Coast Park by Justin Ng

Post by Gary »

Update 16 May 2014:

Justin published an article on his website on how he photographed the Milky Way in Singapore:
http://www.justinngphoto.com/2014/05/16 ... singapore/

The title says it all! WOW.

Justin shares some of his tips of shooting Milky Way in Singapore:

http://www.justinngphoto.com/2014/04/01 ... -park-ecp/
Last edited by Gary on Fri May 16, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Re: Milky Way at East Coast Park by Justin Ng

Post by antares2063 »

Very nice image , if it is taken at ECP , it is a tremendous effort, back when I was there to try to find Ison the numerous ships anchored offshore were throwing up lights like nobody's business.

First off , I wish to say Im am not an imager or AP'er , I am pure visual and have looked at the skies for years. I am also not trying to stir up a debate about to the ECP picture. I just cant shake this nagging feeling that the picture looks odd to me.

I know where this is taken from due to the fact that I go ecp to rollerblading very often..
For the white "hut" and walkway in Justin Ng's picture , this is an overview using google earth :

The spanner shaped object is the white hut with walkway in the pic , if you were standing on the beach , you will be facing due south. To the centre-right of the picture , is the double jetty with the "lattice grid" network of pipes that are seen during low tide. Those who went dating in that area might know the double jetty, can literally see planes flying low overhead as they approach the runway.

As for justin's pic orientation and position of Milky Way, claiming that it is taken while rising, it shouldnt be a parallel band to the horizon, in Singapore, we should see it rising at an angle from the SE direction. I have marked out the
Sagittarius "teapot" asterism using black lines. (the resolution is bad, had to screenshot it)

Just my 2 cents, but facing south, there is no way Sagittarius will be in such a position if you are facing the white hut / Batam / the ocean?

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
mymoon

Post by mymoon »

Being a newbie astro imager, I always carry my iPad with SkySafari 4 Pro Apps installed. At any location it help me tremendously to locate and framed the objects of interest without the need for internet connection.

From the FOV I can estimate with another Apps ,the focal length to be use when imaging with the Canon 60D. Pity it won't help with the exposures details. Maybe future version will. [smilie=admire2.gif]

This is the view from a simulation. Location and date and time and FOV indicated

I stand advised whether I used this correctly in this instance.

cheers

Aziz
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

Aziz, you did not use this app while standing below that bridge, did you?
mymoon

Post by mymoon »

A pity as my iPad and I are not waterproof.
I would have done it otherwise. [smilie=embarrassed3.gif]

Cheers

Aziz
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

I meant at roughly the position from which Justin's picture was purportedly taken?
mymoon

Post by mymoon »

My apology. I misunderstood the question

This may best illustrated with a panorama of the milky way at the same date and time but at two separate location along the ECP approximately.

the Teapot at the National Service Resort

the Teapot at Sentosa

You can do the overlay and there should be no discernible difference. I hope that answers the question.

BTW Junwei is right at South the Milky Way is at an angle.

But Justin is an artist. He has applied his artist license to show that the MW can be imaged from a polluted sky. In fact the orientation of the Teapot gives a clue to the time the image was shot.

cheers

aziz
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Erm...how come the lid of the teapot is pointing to the left in the photo but pointing to the right in the starmap? Is the photo flipped? But the jetty dun seem flipped...
Srry I not very gd at reading starmaps. Haha~~
I AM A SUCKER FOR 2ND HAND STUFF ! YAY ~~!
DarthCryder
Favourite scope: Nikon 85mm/f1.4 lens

Post by DarthCryder »

another article for Justin Ng... this time not ECP but Milky Way with MBS as back(fore)ground...

http://mothership.sg/2014/04/sporean-ph ... bay-sands/
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

DarthCryder wrote:another article for Justin Ng... this time not ECP but Milky Way with MBS as back(fore)ground...

http://mothership.sg/2014/04/sporean-ph ... bay-sands/
Here is the photographer's description of his photograph, where he states that the Milky Way was imaged from the Esplanade area perched above Marina Bay Sands.

http://www.justinngphoto.com/2014/04/26 ... singapore/

I'm not ready to pass a final verdict on it, but am quite skeptical for now. I should think that the Milky Way would be washed out by the brighter heavily light-polluted foreground sky and no amount of post-processing could bring out the Milky Way. Nevertheless, I remain open to be convinced.