NGC 6888 from the balcony

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
orly_andico

NGC 6888 from the balcony

Post by orly_andico »

Flew in from Jakarta and arrived around 10 p.m. The sky was hazy but I could see stars, so figured might as well.

First light for my Frankenstein newtonian (with extended, riveted tube).

17 x 5 minutes, guided, AT8IN imaging newtonian with Type 1 Paracorr (cheap!), ST8300M @ 3 Celsius, guided with a 50mm finder guider.

kimo

Re: NGC 6888 from the balcony

Post by kimo »

very nice image. St8300 is now working?
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

It still is dewing up. Shows up as cold pixels. I discovered an option in Deep Sky Stacker to remove cold pixels and replace with median.

Anyway I should be collecting my two large bags of molecular desiccant from Sigma-Aldrich tomorrow or next week. That should be good enough for several years. :mrgreen:

I had to extend the tube of the AT8IN so that the focuser doesn't need to be racked out so much:

So now, no more need for an extension tube or the Feathertouch focuser base extension. I may put the base extension back in so that the drawtube isn't extended so much..

Before I lengthened the tube, the focuser stack looked like this (very ungainly):

Thing is, the AT8IN (and 6- 10- and 12-inch versions) seem to have been designed for a DSLR without any coma corrector. So with a CCD and Paracorr, an extension tube is required and the focuser has to be racked out a lot. This causes instability. So my mod improves stability, but makes the scope incompatible with a bare DSLR (it still reaches focus with a DSLR and Paracorr).

Something to keep in mind if you're planning on getting one of these imaging newtonians and will use it with a CCD.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Nice pointy stars! :P
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Thanks.. The Paracorr even though it's a lowly Type 1 that I got used for less than $150, is amazing.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Looks like a giant Brain in space! Tough one to capture?
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Tough due to haze, frost on my sensor, and horrible light pollution. But it is a fairly bright object and imaging is never a headache with a good mount. [smilie=admire2.gif]
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Very nicely down Orly! And that Balcony looks very convenient...Stars above, scope on target, beer, snacks and toilte within reach ...haha.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Gary

Post by Gary »

Nice DSO and AP setup pics! Looks like cabbage to me! :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
PETER LOO
Favourite scope: TS APO Refractor

Post by PETER LOO »

Nice shot, nice set up & nice balcony Orly, [smilie=admire.gif] [smilie=admire.gif]