Filters for DSLR Imaging in Singapore

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
PETER LOO
Favourite scope: TS APO Refractor

Re: Filters for DSLR Imaging in Singapore

Post by PETER LOO »

Hi Ger, i saw your M42 from Mersing, very nice, can see the Running man distinctly. Pertain to your question on filters for SG Sky, i find Celestron UHC filter very effective for Red spectral Nebula, although read from somewhere you need at least 100 mm aperture to use it, but i find it okay with my TS-65 scope (expose for 1 to 2 mins longer though) :D , oh yah ! one more thing, need to do a Custom white balance before you collect image data so that later on much easier to process although can still do an offset to get the color corrected with s/w like Nebulosity but may incur losses (of some subtle details), clear sky :)
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

generally you're looking for light pollution filters. i can say this: stay away from the LPS-V4, it's way too aggressive and requires extra-long exposure times.

the recommended DSLR LPR filters have been the LPS-P2 and similar; I haven't tried these. I have the LPS-D1 which is supposed to be an improved LPS-P2, but I've not used it because I use narrowband and a mono CCD around town.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

hi G,

if you've noticed on my FB, the vast majority of what I do is H-a narrowband, because it's the most resistant to light pollution. Targets would be the usual suspect H-a emission nebulae (Rosette, M42, Horsehead, M1, Heart, Thor's Helmet...)

the downside of this approach is that you need long exposures (5-10 minutes) and, a mono camera is pretty much mandatory (both for the long exposures and for the H-a sensitivity). a modded DSLR is a distant alternative (i used a one-shot color camera for years, it's OK but the Bayer matrix RGGB means only 1/4 the pixels are picking up H-a light so you've got 1/4 the light gathering).

because of the long exposures, cooling is pretty much mandatory otherwise your signal gets drowned by the dark noise. of course, a regular unmodded DSLR would probably be hopeless for narrowband.