Skywatcher 200p and AP

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
ahernep
Favourite scope: Possibly a Skywatcher 200p Dob (but I have to buy it first!!)

Re: Skywatcher 200p and AP

Post by ahernep »

Hey,

Incidentally, this would be the mount I would probably ultimately go for if I wanted to go EQ route: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatc ... mount.html

Nice and pricy but am I wrong in thinking that then I would have a pretty good setup for visual/imaging (I know I know, no such thing...but even close?).

Cheers,
Peter.
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi Peter,

My suggestion would be to try imaging at focal lengths 800mm and below, and best to image using a symmetric-profiled system. What this means is to either use a refractor (best) or a compound telescope, rather than a Newtonian (especially a long one). You will have ease of balance in the system and less susceptible external vibrations (wind, etc). Imaging at high focal length is also dependent on the seeing quality (you will get blobby fat stars rather than thin sharp defined pin-pricks of light), and depending on your mount and luck, it could be a pain to auto guide (optimisation of auto guiding parameters can be an inconsistent affair, and not predictable). A mount like the iOptron ZEQ25 has been tried and tested and cheap (new for below SGD$1.5k). It could take a nice rich-field 4" refractor and you are good to go.

Nevertheless, if you really like the 200P, you will need at least the EQ6 or equivalent variant, or the Losmandy G11, CGEM, etc.

Lastly, you also need to ask yourself if you will mind lugging the equipment with you, how much are you willing to carry, proximity of your desired imaging location (home, at some dark site, park, etc), et cetera.

Perhaps you could also try joining some of the sidewalks and meet other imagers and have a chat with them on their experiences.

Have fun and go well!
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Hi Peter,

You are very fortunate that 2 of few excellent APers (imagers) here in this forum are giving you advices. Check out pictures by them (Ivan n RCJ), they not only produce great pictures, they are also very knowledgeable.
PETER LOO
Favourite scope: TS APO Refractor

Post by PETER LOO »

I started to do AP about 5 yrs ago, using a 135mm (focal length) Canon NFD lens (no telescope) attached to an integration camera (security camera) in the beginning.