Singapore startup TinyMOS introduces the Tiny1 Camera

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Singapore startup TinyMOS introduces the Tiny1 Camera

Post by Airconvent »

Grey spoke about the prototype under the DIY section but they now have a product specifically for astrophotography.
The TinyMOS Tiny1 was developed by NUS students.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/763037 ... phy-camera

The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
astro_chemist

Re: Singapore startup TinyMOS introduces the Tiny1 Camera

Post by astro_chemist »

I wonder what is cost to mass manufacture the kind of metal boxes (with no leake of light), frames like below for this camera and the lens?

Grey
Favourite scope: Tiny1 camera of course

Re: Singapore startup TinyMOS introduces the Tiny1 Camera

Post by Grey »

hey guys, sorry I didn't see these posts until now. :mryellow:

The aluminium case is pretty expensive to make in low volumes but is not too bad at quantity. However, it will still be about 100x more expensive than injection molding the parts out of engineering plastics. We chose aluminium to heat sink the sensor, processor and battery, for cleaner images. (It will also be easier for modders. but you didn't hear that from me :twisted: )

The frames you see are from an older iteration. It's 3D printed with carbon reinforced PLA, based on a 2 part design. We reworked the whole case to a monobody for better durability and a sleeker outline.