DSLR on reflector telescope

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Garyhaze28

DSLR on reflector telescope

Post by Garyhaze28 »

Hi

I'm new to astrophotography and needs pointers from the expert here.
I bought a reflector telescope and a 1.25" canon adapter with T-ring for my old canon dslr.
I found that I couldn't see any image on my liveview as it appear black but through viewfinder, I'm able to see some dark image. After adjusting my shutter speed and aperture , I manage to take a photo but the photo are all out of focus.

Question, anybody know why my dslr liveview couldn't see anything through the telescope?
geyes30

Re: DSLR on reflector telescope

Post by geyes30 »

Too many factors in play, but some usual suspects are 1. The live view EV is too low; and 2. Your reflector may not have enough focus travel (fairly common problem).
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

If focussing travel is the issue, you can try to offset the camera and adapter away from the OTA. If you can get a good image, then it is confirmed the travel is not long enough.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
ivan
Favourite scope: TAK-oyaki

Post by ivan »

Point it at a distant object in the daytime to see if it comes into focus. If it does, take note of where the rough focal point is. In general, however, many Newtonians don't have enough focus distance to enable prime focus with a dslr, especially if you use an additional T-adapter which will further lengthen the optical path. Many newtonians actually have an in-built t-thread on the focuser. It may not be immediately evident, however. You can try posting an image of your focuser and I'll see if there is one. If there is, you can ditch the T-adapter altogether.
Just a casual stargazer