Heads up for afocal astrophotography

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
haejae
Favourite scope: astromaster 130eq:p

Heads up for afocal astrophotography

Post by haejae »

Hi guys! Just to give newbies like me an idea of how afocal astrophotography can be like, here is a few photos i have took through my scope in the past few weeks. Could really see detail on Mars through camera but could see surface detail visually so left it out.
Scope:Celestron c90 spotting scope
eyepieces:32mm plossl(moon @39x)

Image]

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Heads up for afocal astrophotography

Post by Airconvent »

Congrats! You have taken your first astrophotos. If its possible, use a proper camera instead of a camera phone. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
haejae

Post by haejae »

yeap i will try to use camera! but i find camera very frustrating to focus, anybody can help?
haejae

Post by haejae »

Is a computerised mount required for planetary ap? Cos those mounts abit too expensive for 15 yr old

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Post by joachim.ong »

Hi haejae! Good to know you're taking those first steps into astrophotography! Good job with those photos :) I was about that age when I started astrophotography too (not that I'm very much older now hahaha)

Although it's not 100% essential to have a computerised mount, it's highly recommended to be able to track the planets as they rise and set as it gives you one less thing to worry about. But if you can't afford it now, just try to make the best of what you have; don't give up! You might want to practice finding focus on distant objects in the day time first to get a feel for how it goes and the rough position of the focal point (perhaps how many turns from when you are in focus when using the eyepiece).
haejae

Post by haejae »

okay! btw can sb explain he drift method and how to stack frames? all help will be appreciated!!
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Post by joachim.ong »

Hmmm I don't think there is a need to drift align (I'm supposing you're using an eq mount). Just ensure your mount is well pointed to the north pole. I find carefully using my phones compass, inclinometer and GPS gives pretty decent results. For stacking you could refer to the guide on Registax website http://www.astronomie.be/registax/previewv6paul.html. Also there is Autostakkert but I haven't migrated to that software so I can't advice... [smilie=embarrassed.gif]