Astrophotography Choice : Nikon D7200 vs D750 vs D50p

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Zak961

Astrophotography Choice : Nikon D7200 vs D750 vs D50p

Post by Zak961 »

Greeting guys
I am trying to upgrade my cam but i cant really choose
Which do u think is most suitable for astrophotography
Nikon D7200?
Nikon D750?
Nikon D500?

If we were to put them in order, which comes first? Which comes last?
Thank you
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Astrophotography Choice : Nikon D7200 vs D750 vs D50p

Post by cloud_cover »

Hello!
Broadly speaking they are all fairly similar, with perhaps the edge going to the D750 because of better low light performance due to its larger pixels. However, the most important question to ask is: Why do you want to upgrade your camera? Is it because you want a better camera for general use and then for some astrophotography, or are you looking for a dedicated astrophotography camera?
If you're looking for a general use camera, then I suggest you buy what's best for your general purpose and budget. The Dx format cameras are lighter and cost less, their associated lenses also cost less. The Fx format D750 performs better in low light but the lenses are significantly larger, heavier and more expensive.
If you're looking for a dedicated astrophotography DSLR, then may I suggest that none are worth considering for this reason - you should get a full spectrum modified DSLR because an unmodified DSLR is poorly sensitive to Hydrogen Alpha light, which is the most important wavelength in Astrophotography, since the most abundant element in the universe is Hydrogen. Alternatively, you may wish to consider an astronomical CCD which has the edge in cooling, a vitally important factor in decreasing the noise, very dramatically.
Hope this helps! As its your first post in this forum (welcome!), it may be more helpful to share what equipment (if any) you intend to image with and what kinds of targets you intend to go after :)
DON'T PANIC