First Light with C8 ERF (Timelapse flare added on 13Mar17)

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

First Light with C8 ERF (Timelapse flare added on 13Mar17)

Post by yltansg »

Finally I settled down to do some testing of a C8 Energy Rejection Filter (ERF) that I got recently. It is also a 3-band filter, permitting imaging in HA, CAK and 430nm (Fe-based) imaging of the Sun.

The setup was: ERF C8 SCT with Baader Herschel wedge + 1.25" H-A filter + x2.5 televue barlow + ASI174 mono camera.

The exposure was set to 0.291 msec to freeze the seeing condition. Here is the first light result:

Last edited by yltansg on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: First Light with C8 ERF

Post by Airconvent »

Nice! Do post some prominences too if there are any at the moment. :)
But curious as to using a C8 to view the sun. Is it an overkill? What additional features can the bigger aperture offer?
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
yltansg

Re: First Light with C8 ERF

Post by yltansg »

[But curious as to using a C8 to view the sun. Is it an overkill? What additional features can the bigger aperture offer?[/quote]

Hi Airconvent,

My eventual goal is to do high-resolution H-Alpha (will use an PST with this C8) and Fe-based solar imaging (using a 430nm filter) with the C8. Need the large aperture for this type of high resolution imaging. Didn't do proms imaging.

Here is another image of that sunspot taken yesterday

yltansg

Re: First Light with C8 ERF (New photos added 11Mar 17)

Post by yltansg »

With the same ERF, I added a 25mm Edmund Optics 430/10nm filter and got this G-Band granulations.

yltansg

Re: First Light with C8 ERF (New G-Band photos added 11Mar 1

Post by yltansg »

The G-band images were obtained at the same time as the following 3-band images of the Sun in H-Alpha, CAK and whitelight bandwidths. It was a spotless Sun :)

superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi Alfred
Congratulations to your success. Did you use com. software to achieve the result.Did something similar years ago and find that largest aperture for continuous observations is around 100mm.Anything larger also gather too much atmospheric turbulence in the form of wavy images and made image worse off. In fact largest aperture tried was 150mm. with negative results.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Hi Mr Chia,

Thanks for your kind words. Here is my response to your questions/comments:

a. Did you use com. software to achieve the result? Yes, I make use of AS!2 for alignment & stacking and IMPPG for deconvolution and sharpening.

b. I find that largest aperture for continuous observations is around 100mm.Anything larger also gather too much atmospheric turbulence in the form of wavy images and made image worse off. Yes, I have arrived at the same conclusion too. However, I seldom do visual observation. Most of my work is concentrated on imaging. I have gotten around this limitation with the use of an appropriate energy rejection filter (ERF) to block out most of the IR energy and prevent the build up of tube current. Then there is the atmosphere turbulence pick up by high image-scale recording. For this I use very low exposure setting (less than 0.5msec) to freeze the image. With these 2 combined techniques I have gotten around the 150mm aperture limitation. Presently I have 2 ERFs, one for 150mm refractor and another one for C8 SCT. Both have worked beautifully to produce high definition zoom-in images. At present I am working on adapting a PST etalon (Stage 2 Mod) to work with the C8 ERF on a C8 for HD H-Alpha imaging. I will be going for C14 next.

Here are some images taken with my Celestron 150mm XLT refractor fitted with a front-end ERF:

Celestron 150mm XLT refractor fitted with an ERF

The strongest flare in 2016 taken on 23Jul16

Zoom-in on a sunspot and filament (eye and brow) on 16 June 16

Heart-shaped sunspot imaged on 16Apr16
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: First Light with C8 ERF (New images added on 12Mar17)

Post by Airconvent »

Those are awesome images! Especially the one with the prominence! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
yltansg

Re: First Light with C8 ERF (New images added on 12Mar17)

Post by yltansg »

Airconvent wrote:Those are awesome images! Especially the one with the prominence! :)
Hi Airconvent,

That image was one of 50 that I captured on 23 Jul 16 and made into a time-lapse movie

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwoz7FxYJ7g[/youtube]

Enjoy