Jupiter April opposition and an introduction

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Marco
Favourite scope: Officina Stellare Rifast 500 f/3.8

Jupiter April opposition and an introduction

Post by Marco »

Hi all, this is my first post year. Originally from Italy, I moved to Singapore 8 months ago from Shanghai. I have been involved in astronomy and in particular astrophotography for more 30 years, from the "glorious" film times to the digital revolution of the last two decades. Since I relocated in Asia (and its large metropolis) I do most of my astronomical imaging remotely with an observatory I built in Australia controlled over the internet, but in Singapore I also have a C9.25 I bought mostly for planetary work.
I have been taking almost exclusively deep sky images in the past (you can see several of my images in my home page http://www.glitteringlights.com) so I am still quite at the beginning in planetary work and its processing peculiarity, however I am having a lot of fun despite of the frustration of Singapore weather, with very few "clear" evenings so far and a seeing I was honestly expecting to be better..
2017-04-15-1537_1-L_AS_f5000_g4_ap124_wav.jpg
Attached is an image of Jupiter and its moon Io taken a couple nights ago using the C9.25 and a ZWO224MC. Best 5000 frames of a 90 sec video. Seeing was average, it was better earlier in the night but by the time I set everything and redo the collimation it was getting worse. I am still adjusting the processing (I probably a bit over-processed this one) and have several other movies to process, however it looks interesting.
C925+CEM60_s.jpg
I attach an image of the full setup for those curious, I am imaging from the bedroom terrace on top of a 12 floors combo, so not a really optimal location but quite convenient.

Clear skies
Marco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Marco on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Jupiter April opposition and an introduction

Post by Airconvent »

Welcome to Singastro, Marco.
As shown by you and some of our astrophotographers here, getting decent planetary and DSO images are very doable as long as bide your time for that nice clear skies that we get once in a loooooooooong while! Nice image of Jupiter... :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Marco

Post by Marco »

Thanks for the welcome airconvent:) I noticed that images in my post can only be seeing only if I log in, but in other ppl post they are visible even if I do not log in: is there any particular procedure (or FAQ) I have to read to make them visible also to visitors?
Clear skies
Marco
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

dear Marco, I believe that by uploading your pics to a photo-sharing site like Flickr or Photobucket and posting the "img" link , will ebable visitors to see photos without needing to login.

Its so cool that you have an observatory in australia..the sacred dark site..haha

regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Marco

Post by Marco »

Thanks Junwei for the suggestion :)
Clear skies
Marco