Video of Jupiter Rotation of April 19 (c9.25)

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Marco
Favourite scope: Officina Stellare Rifast 500 f/3.8

Video of Jupiter Rotation of April 19 (c9.25)

Post by Marco »

Hi everyone, I finally processed all the footage taken on Jupiter the night of April 19 from my home in Singapore with a C9.25 @ f/25 and a ZWO ASI-224MC. In total I took 49 movies of 90 "one organized by 3 sequences every about 11 minutes. Each video contains about 7,500 frames, which were first selected and stacked with AS! 2 (averaging the best 4,000 frames each) and then derotated and combined with WinJuPos to create 16 master images of 12,000 frames each. Then I used Registax 6 for wavelet processing and converted the images into Maps with WinJuPos, stacked to create a unique map with the visible surface during this session. The resulting 15-second film covers 3 hours of shooting (from 14:40 UT to 17:40 UT), or about a quarter of the planet's rotation. The resulting uncompressed AVI video was about 1.5 GB, then converted to a 5 mega MP4 and uploaded to YouTube, unfortunately with a noticeable drop in quality.

https://youtu.be/5sWBDP7xgxc
(To download the video in better quality MP4 = https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6gvo5nnhpmzc ... 7.mp4?dl=0, let me know how you see it, I'm still trying to figure out how to optimize the Settings for compression).

The whole process was a lot of work but it was fun and worth it.

I hope you will like it

Clear skies
Marco
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Video of Jupiter Rotation of April 19 (c9.25)

Post by Airconvent »

Great Marco! Did you manage to catch any Galilean moon transits during the period? :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Johansofi
Favourite scope: Orion SkyQuest XT8i

Post by Johansofi »

Awesome! Final effect is stunning! Thanks for sharing that. I am a beginner but I hope that one day I will manage to record things like that :)
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
Marco
Favourite scope: Officina Stellare Rifast 500 f/3.8

Post by Marco »

Hi Airconvent, no there were not. I have however taken some images on the main galilean moons but 9 inches are too little to get much details out of them..
Regards
Marco