Image Rivaled Multi-million $ Observatory (new images added)

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Image Rivaled Multi-million $ Observatory (new images added)

Post by yltansg »

I am happy to announce that, after months of tinkering I am able to produce solar images that are not too far from those produced by the best solar observatories in the world. Glad to fly Singapore flag high in solar astronomy :)

Read more about it at https://solarchatforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 19#p204319

The above images are from Big Bear Solar Observatory making use of the new Multiple-Conjugate Adaptive Optics technology

The following images were taken by me using a C8:

Alfred
Last edited by yltansg on Tue May 09, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KKK26
Favourite scope: All nice scopes

Re: Break-through Solar - compared multi million $ Observato

Post by KKK26 »

wow, nice!
rcj
Vendor

Re: Image Rivaled Multi-million $ Observatory (new images ad

Post by rcj »

fantastic!! very fine detailed work there, Alfred!! done the community proud!
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Re: Image Rivaled Multi-million $ Observatory (new images ad

Post by yltansg »

rcj wrote:fantastic!! very fine detailed work there, Alfred!! done the community proud!
Thanks Remus.

It wasn't too long ago that conventional wisdom tells us that we can't do solar imaging with greater than 4 or 5" aperture telescope. Now with a good Dielectric Energy Rejection Filter (D-ERF) and good post-processing, we are able to get very high resolution images.

This is my setup with a C8:

On their request, I have shared my setup and workflow with several fellow astronomers from US and Europe. We should see more high-resolution images on the surface of the Sun from these astronomers soon :)

Over the past 2 years I have successfully tested and done solar imaging with a 150mm refractor and C8 SCT. My next project is to do it with a C14 SCT :) The main reason for larger aperture is to get even higher resolution images.

Alfred