Hergest Ridge in the moonlight

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Paramount

Hergest Ridge in the moonlight

Post by Paramount »

Last night the weather forecast was good although the moon was going to be in the sky until close on 1am so I went up to Hergest Ridge in Kington again with the intent of utilising the moon to create some nice lighting effects. During the night I did two time lapses.
Time lapse 1 was of the monkey puzzle trees with the moon moving across the sky directly behind them, this was help create some moving shadows and highlights in the foreground. I used my Sony A7Sii and Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 lens with the shutter speed set to 30 seconds at f2.8 and ISO 3200. I didn't use my Rhino Camera Gear for this for two reasons, I wanted the trees to remain stationary and as I hadn't charged the batteries I wanted enough power for the second time lapse. I took about 280 frames for this time lapse.
Time lapse 2 was of the milky way moving away from the monkey puzzle trees and as I wanted to follow the milky way I used the slider. I started the time lapse with the moon still in the sky to show the effect that moonlight has in washing out detail in the night sky and also the effect it has on the colours. I shot this with the same exposure settings except that I used ISO 25600 to help capture the milky way better.
Following this I turned the camera round and took a couple of pictures of Orion which had just risen but I will post those later. After I finished I had a short nap on my bedroll before heading back down to meet my brother after which we went for breakfast in Kington at the Border Bean café.

The Video of these two time lapses can be found at the following link, it is best viewed in HD or 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI_XqK_ ... e=youtu.be
Using Sony A7Sii & A7iii, Samyang 12mm f2.8, 24mm f1.4 & 85mm f1.4 lenses, Dynamic Perceptions Stage 1 slider & Sapphire Pro, Timelapse +view intervalometer. Please visit my website https://www.inthestillofthenight.space for more info
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Hergest Ridge in the moonlight

Post by Airconvent »

Very surreal, Gordon.! :)
I like the shadow effects by the moon...
Thanks for sharing.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets