Polar aligning an ioptron SkyGuider pro

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
pranavseth
Favourite scope: Nikon D800, Nikor 14-24f2.8, Sigma Art 14f1.8

Polar aligning an ioptron SkyGuider pro

Post by pranavseth » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Hello from a newbie -

I am moving from wide field milkyway photography into a bit of simple deep space photography using my Nikon dslr system. I bought a ioptron SkyGuider pro for the purpose (to use with a Nikon 70-200mmf2.8 lens). However, the polar alignment mount on the tracker needs me to view the Polaris to align the polar axis. That is not possible in near the equator due to polar being almost athe horizon and not visible.

Any tips on how to do the alignment will be very helpful.

Pranav

geyes30

Re: Polar aligning an ioptron SkyGuider pro

Post by geyes30 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:52 am

pranavseth
Favourite scope: Nikon D800, Nikor 14-24f2.8, Sigma Art 14f1.8

Post by pranavseth » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:34 am

Thanks a lot, Geyes30. Will try the drift alignment method for now. Thanks for the link - discovered a lot kore! Learning!

PETER LOO
Favourite scope: TS APO Refractor

Post by PETER LOO » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:54 pm

An alternative to Alignment with Polar scope is to align with Earth Rotational Axis directly instead using an accurate digital level meter of 0.05 deg accuracy. Also, Polaris will no longer be the North Star some kilo years later due to Earth Precession, just like 3 thousands years ago, the North star was probably Thuban.

Using digital level to measure from your local horizon can be made possible by taking reference from zeroing a bubble level East West 1st, then North South. This local horizon of zeroing forms a plane, and this plane need to be adjusted to your current latitude, as in the case of SG, it is around 1.25 deg to 1.35 deg depends on which part of SG. After you had adjusted your mount to this value, search for True North via Magnetic Compass, for visual observation this should be good enough, as for AP, we may need to perform an AZ drift using 1 star (provided your earlier zeroing etc. has been properly carried out)

The advantage of this 1 star only Drift method has many:

1. If you live in HDB or Condo and facing North or South, you can only access to to the AZ drift star, this method let you enjoy doing a proper drift to coincide (parallel) your mount with Earth Rotational Axis (which runs through North South and inclined with an angle = your present latitude) with just 1 star ( East or West Star can be omitted)

2. Solving the Plane of Declination first makes AZ drift much easier & need not restrict oneself to a star near Celestial Equator only.

& this method can be called Lagi Simple Method: Summary, incline your mount to latitude, find true North , then your Mount will be parallel to Earth Rotational Axis.

n.b. Don't forget to turn on your motor, it will rotate at the same speed but in opposite direction with the Earth Rotational Axis, which you just aligned

Good Luck

PETER LOO

Post by PETER LOO » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm

PETER LOO

Post by PETER LOO » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:40 pm

My Ioptron Sky Guider Pro arrived yesterday, just tested it tonight, cannot achieve 8 arc sec as some one claimed on Cloudy Night Forum for Star Adventurers mount, which is also 144 teeth. But at at least it is smooth (those transient spikes are due to bad sky condition, cloud cover.

ImageDigital Level Meter by Peter Loo, on Flickr

ImagePHD_Software by Peter Loo, on Flickr

ImageHand Controller by Peter Loo, on Flickr

ImageSkyGuider Free Running Dec Performance by Peter Loo, on Flickr

ImageSkyGuider Free Running RA Performance by Peter Loo, on Flickr

PETER LOO

Post by PETER LOO » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:47 am

Here is a example of the PHD Drift Alignment for Ioptron SkyGuider Pro Mount, hopes it help, Good Luck

ImageImaging n Guiding Set up by Peter Loo, on Flickr

ImageMount too far East adj Az knob by Peter Loo, on Flickr

ImageMount too far West adj Az knob by Peter Loo, on Flickr

ImageThe Mount Amost Aligned by Peter Loo, on Flickr

PETER LOO

Post by PETER LOO » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:30 am

I used my imaging scope (420mm f.l.) to test the mount Periodic Error for better resolution, the curve looks much smoother than earlier one.

n.b. This mount is already heavily loaded when i put this 2.3 kg scope (with scope rings + dovetail = 2.8 kg), i should not add in the guide scope at the same time, otherwise the Dec performance will suffer and also can be physically dangerous (something might break)

ImageMax Load by Peter Loo, on Flickr

ImageSkyGuider Pro PEC by Peter Loo, on Flickr