12 Hours at Ribblehead Viaduct

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Paramount

12 Hours at Ribblehead Viaduct

Post by Paramount »

I spent last night at Ribblehead Viaduct in the Yorkshire Dales shooting another "Holy Grail" time lapse, this time I wanted to go all the way and shoot a time lapse that went from day to night and then back to day again. The weather forecast wasn't brilliant but sometimes you've just got to go out and do it and hope for the best. Although the majority of the night was cloud bound there were a few short clear spells and I managed to get the milky way crossing the sky albeit behind some clouds.I started at about 7pm (an hour before sunset) and finished at 7am (an hour after sunrise). I used my Sony A7Sii and Samyang 24mm f1.4 lens, my Dynamic Perception slider with Sapphire Pro pan and tilt head and NMX pro controller for the camera movement and my Timelapse+ view intervalometer for handling the ramping of the exposures needed during the night. As mentioned on a previous post you programme the camera movement into the NMX controller via a blue tooth phone app and then after taking a correctly exposed image at ISO 100 and f1.4 you set a few parameters into the intervalometer such as longest exposure and highest ISO and then the intervalometer makes the necessary exposure adjustments during the night and also moves the slider after each exposure so apart from periodically checking on batteries, cables, etc it is nicely automated, any flickering from the exposure changes is handled using a plug in for Lightroom from Timelapse+. In all I took 1,830 images with exposures ranging from 1/2500 of a second at f1.4 and ISO 100 to 20 seconds at f1.4 and ISO 6400. That is over 21 stops of exposure difference during the night and each exposure change is made in 1/3 stop increments so the intervalometer has a fairly busy time during the night. During the night the moon came up which added a bit of extra illumination to the landscape.
Hope you like it, the video can be seen at the link below and is available in 4K

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dmFglty2XT8&t=11s

Best wishes
Gordon
Using Sony A7Sii & A7iii, Samyang 12mm f2.8, 24mm f1.4 & 85mm f1.4 lenses, Dynamic Perceptions Stage 1 slider & Sapphire Pro, Timelapse +view intervalometer. Please visit my website https://www.inthestillofthenight.space for more info