30min Star Trails in Singapore

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

30min Star Trails in Singapore

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Attempt to take a 30min Star Trails in Singapore and this is what you'll get :k-sad: :
http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=362

Below are the setting:
Camera: Canon 300D
Lens: EF 28-105 F3.5-4.5 @28mm F3.5(eqv. 45mm)
Exposure: ~30min
ISO: 100

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
oxygn

Post by oxygn »

hey weixing,

how u do 30min exposure on 300D? thought 300D only has max of 30s exposure setting?

THanks,
colin
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
You use the bulk mode. Also, need a remote control to hold the exposure and also to reduce vibration.

By the way, according to Canon, a full charge battery can take up to 2.5 hours long exposure in 300D! :k-shock:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

*bulb mode. i think problem wif most cam is battery power is needed to keep the shutter open, so there is limit to length of exposure, unlike those older camera which do not run on battery.
tanguan2001

Post by tanguan2001 »

Just for info, if you get a generic replacement battery, eg from Cathay in Peninsula, you can go even longer without having to change the battery. I routinely run ~4hrs on the 300D before needing to change.

TG
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Anyway, I don't think this is a big problem. Battery low, just change one... It won't cause any problem, unless you are doing a long exposure of more than 2 hours... which is very unlikely. If you really need the extra long exposure, just use a battery grid which can put two battery in it or use an adapter to connect to an external power source.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Weixing,

Photoshopped your startrails for aesthetic effect. See if you like it.

Happy new year and congrats on your new aquisition (300d)!

I remember reading before a technique of taking star trails by taking many 5 min exposures and stacking them together using the "lighten" function in photoshop. You might like to try that one day.

Cheers,
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ykchia

Post by ykchia »

Hi WeiXing and folks:

Very nice star trails... set up like this can be for meteors. Over the CNY holiday i did some fun things too..

http://www.ykchia.com/feb_mar.htm

rgds
yK

rgds
ykchia