A night under the arches

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Paramount

A night under the arches

Post by Paramount »

"A night under the arches"
I went back to Ribblehead Viaduct last night to shoot some time lapse, animated star trails and some slightly different views of the viaduct, I didn't attempt any Holy Grail time lapse as I only had time to be there for the hours of darkness. It was clouded over and very windy when I got there but an hour later the skies started to clear and it stayed that way for the night. Apart from the noise the odd train, the wind and the continual dripping noise from a drainpipe on one of the arches it was very peaceful, it's one of my favourite places to go at the moment. I took my Sony A7iii and A7Sii with a Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye and 24mm f1.4 lenses. In all I took about 2,000 images from which I made 4 time lapse clips and 4 animated star trails as well as the single frame and 5 frame panorama images below. The exposure times were 30 seconds at f2.8 and ISO 6400 for the A7Sii and 12mm lens and 20 seconds at f1.4 and ISO 4000 for the A7iii and 24mm f1.4 lens. The moon rose at about 2am and created some wonderful lighting effects in two of the clips making it look almost like daylight with the long exposures. All the puddles started freezing over in the early hours but thanks to my down suit I was nice and warm, the biggest problem I had was stopping my ground sheet and bed roll from blowing away, after the third retrieval I weighted it down with my hiking trailer and spare tripod. The images were processed in Adobe Lightroom and rendered to video in Premier Pro while the animated star trails were created using Starstax and Premier Pro. The time lapse video can be seen at the link below in HD and 4K. I used a wireless intervalometer to take the "selfies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3qFFRhLcIY&t=5s

Best wishes
Gordon
Using Sony A7Sii & A7iii, Samyang 12mm f2.8, 24mm f1.4 & 85mm f1.4 lenses, Dynamic Perceptions Stage 1 slider & Sapphire Pro, Timelapse +view intervalometer. Please visit my website https://www.inthestillofthenight.space for more info
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: A night under the arches

Post by Airconvent »

Surreal as usual, Gordon! Thanks for sharing! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets