Milky Way and M83 with iPhone

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Yong54321
Favourite scope: Dobson

Milky Way and M83 with iPhone

Post by Yong54321 »

Hi

I would like to share some photos that I capture yesterday with my iPhone 6 camera. I am a newbie in astrophotography and astronomy but have some experience in programming. As such, I have made an iOS app to take long exposure of the night sky. Yesterday the night is clear and at my place pool side (Katong area), I manage to capture the Milky Way. It is my 3rd or 4th night attempt. After some simple processing, the subtle Milky Way appears. Would like to take this opportunity to thank sherring for his posts. They have inspired me.

Actual photo:

Adjust contrast in my app:

Adjust structure in Snapseed:

Please do comment on how to make it look better. Thanks very much.

Clear sky!
yong54321
Last edited by Yong54321 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yong54321

Re: Milky Way with iPhone

Post by Yong54321 »

Here is a shot of M83. It shows only a hint of the galaxy spiral arm at the lower left of tge attached photo. Could anyone verify if it is M83. Look like it is a long way before I could capture good enough photo.

Yong54321

Re: Milky Way and M83 with iPhone

Post by Yong54321 »

Today shot of M83 galaxy with iPhone and manual Dob 8inch.

heyjojos

Post by heyjojos »

Wow that's pretty cool... developing an app that could take long exposure with iPhone. I wonder what the noise level of the phone is? :)
You might want to consider taking it in a darker place and have a tripod to hold down your camera. The MW looks pretty legit!

HJ
Yong54321

Post by Yong54321 »

hi thanks.

The noise level is low enough to see galaxies. There is some walking noise and i wonder what causes it. How do you measure it?

So far the app can image m31, m83, ngc 6774 etc. Here is an updated post at

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6575 ... spiralcam/

Best regards