Solar full disk and Hi-resolution collage

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Solar full disk and Hi-resolution collage

Post by yltansg »

This collage of solar full-disk images in white light, CAK and H-Alpha wavelengths with correspondingly high-resolution images of the region near the plage allows us to peer at the details of surface, lower atmosphere and upper atmosphere of the Sun. Equipment used include William Optics Megrez 90 refractor with Thousand Oaks filter, Lunt CAK B1200 wedge, 60mm refractor with Solarscope H-Alpha DS etalons and C11 with ARIES D-ERF. This is the second active regions since the Sun went into Cycle 25. We can expect more spectacular plasma features and activities in the coming days.

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Solar full disk and Hi-resolution collage

Post by Airconvent »

Interesting, yltansg. First time I see this technique :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Post by yltansg »

Airconvent wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:35 pm Interesting, yltansg. First time I see this technique :)
Hi Airconvent,

I have not seen anyone in the world who has presented high-resolution zoom-in images of the Sun with respect to the corresponding solar full disk in 3-narrow band imaging. I feel that this manner of presentation helps the reader to appreciate and contextualise the high-resolution image that he/she is seeing. The 3-band images also help the reader to have a fuller view of the Sun (looking at the 3 perspectives, namely the solar surface, lower and upper atmosphere). Looking at 1 band (e.g. H-Alpha) is like one of the blind man touching 1 part of the large elephant. When the full picture is assembled by sampling different parts of the elephant, then will one get the complete view. I believe this manner of presentation will catch on :)

Alfred
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Thanks Alfred! Nice effort too! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets