Ribblehead Viaduct Nightscapes

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Paramount

Ribblehead Viaduct Nightscapes

Post by Paramount »

Last night I went back to one of favourite haunts to shoot some time lapse, star trails, animated star rails and some nightscapes. It sounds like a lot but all of these are done from the same data. I got to Ribblehead station at about 2:30pm which left me plenty of time to have a cup of coffee at the Station Inn before setting off for the viaduct where I was based for the night. In all I shot 6 time lapse clips from which I also made a couple of animated star trails, star trail images and some single image nightscape shots. I was using a Sony A7Sii with a Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye lens and all the exposures were 40 seconds at f2.8 with ISO varying between 1000, 6400 and 8000. For the other clips I used my Sony A7iii with Samyang 24mm f1.4 and all exposures were 20 seconds at f1.4 and ISO 1000 and 6400. Even though the cameras aren't astro modified I found that on the one clip showing the milky way moving across the viaduct I could easily make out the North America Nebula as well as Andromeda galaxy which I thought was pretty good for a 20 second exposure. In all I took a total of about 2,600 images between 5:30pm and 5:30am. It was very clear with no wind during the night but very cold and frosty, during one of the clips you can actually see a puddle in the foreground icing over. From downloading all the data from my cameras to uploading to youtube took me about 6 hours.

The video can be seen at the link below and it is available in HD and 4K (4K is much better)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmT577aEwk
Using Sony A7Sii & A7iii, Samyang 12mm f2.8, 24mm f1.4 & 85mm f1.4 lenses, Dynamic Perceptions Stage 1 slider & Sapphire Pro, Timelapse +view intervalometer. Please visit my website https://www.inthestillofthenight.space for more info
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Ribblehead Viaduct Nightscapes

Post by Airconvent »

Nice video....Glad you did not freeze over doing the capture! Only at your latitude can you get the nice circular star trails... :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets