Image of the Sun taken on 31 October 2003

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!

Image of the Sun taken on 31 October 2003

Post by Guest »

Hi All,
Please visit my homepage to view the image of the Sun taken this afternoon. It was taken through my 8 inch SCT telescope fitted with TO solar filter. Canon 300D camera 1/250 second exposure at 100ASA.

http://members.tripod.com/~choonkiat/gallery.html

Have a great weekend.

regards,
CK
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

impressive! ^.^
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Image of the Sun taken on 31 October 2003

Post by Airconvent »

clim62000 wrote:Hi All,
Please visit my homepage to view the image of the Sun taken this afternoon. It was taken through my 8 inch SCT telescope fitted with TO solar filter. Canon 300D camera 1/250 second exposure at 100ASA.

http://members.tripod.com/~choonkiat/gallery.html

Have a great weekend.

regards,
CK
Hi Choon Kiat,
Nice pics but using an 8" scope to take such a bright object would be sort of an overkill? :lol:
Any chance of actually imaging a solar flare or are they rare and hard to capture?

cheers
rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets

Post by Guest »

Hi Rich,
Actually it is not an overkill using 8 inch or larger telescope to view or taking picture of the Sun. Like any other objects, bigger telescope will generally enable you to see more details.

As for solar flare, you'll need to use a special filter which only allows hidrogen alpha wavelength to pass. The filter I'm using is generally a visible light filter.

I have updated my homepage with a H-a image of the Sun. I don't think this is a good image but it will give you an idea of how the Sun looks like through this filter.

regards,
CK
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

clim62000 wrote:Hi Rich,
Actually it is not an overkill using 8 inch or larger telescope to view or taking picture of the Sun. Like any other objects, bigger telescope will generally enable you to see more details.

As for solar flare, you'll need to use a special filter which only allows hidrogen alpha wavelength to pass. The filter I'm using is generally a visible light filter.

I have updated my homepage with a H-a image of the Sun. I don't think this is a good image but it will give you an idea of how the Sun looks like through this filter.

regards,
CK
oh...I see! :lol:
good effort.....if you do upgrade to H2-Alpha filters, do post your efforts here for us to see!
cheers
rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets