2020-5-22 First experience of astrophotography with a Telescope

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

2020-5-22 First experience of astrophotography with a Telescope

Post by hhzhang »

Clear skies, finally. More accurately, 1 hour plus time window only of clear skies in the evening of May 22 (Sg time), and a nice sky in the early morning of May 23 (Sg time).

And this is my first experience photographing stars using a telescope (Sky Rover 115mmF7+Flattener). The other day there was a clear sky night but dedicated to learning and practising polar alignment, practicing various hardware and software system and tools, fighting all sorts of problems, etc.

Unguided CEM40 nonEC

The first target:

M51 30x30s L -- under terrible light pollution

Next, 3C273. Photons from 2,443,000,000 years ago. 4min exposure and stars as faint as m16.5 can be detected.

NGC5139 would be an easy target. Or not. I was trying to center the image using a few short exposures before running a sequence of long exposures. 3rd short exposures in, the whole image turned white. Raised my head, and aha, the naughty clouds had covered nearly the whole sky. End of joy.

So this is a single 8s exposure.

But I was awarded a clear sky in the morning when the two gas giants were shinning near zenith.

Went to set up the system and captured a few videos through 3X focal extender. After postprocessing, the result is not bad for this small-aperture 4.5in APO.

Clear skies!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: 2020-5-22 First experience of astrophotography with a Telescope

Post by Airconvent »

Nice Images! They can only get better as they planets continue to rise earlier each night and you finetune your technique. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

Re: 2020-5-22 First experience of astrophotography with a Telescope

Post by rifleman175 »

Congratulations for the great images! We happen to be using the same mount and with my brief experience with using it, there is no issues loading a Celestron C8 EdgeHD scope together with accessories. Planetary images will be even better with a bigger aperture scope!

Good luck and clear skies!