Planetary Astrophotography

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

Planetary Astrophotography

Post by rifleman175 »

I acquired a second hand C8 EdgeHD a few months ago from one of the forum members here, but unfortunately due to the Covid-19 situation had to postpone first light to now.

Having been fascinated by planetary imaging since starting the hobby, I turned the scope to Jupiter on the first imaging session last week, and wow was I blown away by the view.

So unsurprisingly I took to image the King of the Planets and obtained the following:
mmexport1591969610188.jpg

I must say I was very impressed and happy with the results, especially given that my telescope is considered only entry level in the world of planetary imaging. The Great Red Spot shows nice details, with wisps of clouds unraveling from it.

Equipment List

Imaging Scope: C8 EdgeHD
Mount: iOptron CEM40
Imaging camera: ASI174MM
Accessory: Televue 2.5x PowerMate
Filters: ZWO 5 position Electronic Filter Wheel with ZWO LRGB filters
Guide Setup: ZWO 280/60 guidescope + ASI120MC

Data comprises of 2 sets of LRGB videos (1 min in each channel) stacked and processed.

Stacking done in AutoStakkert, wavelet sharpening in Registax, derotation in WinJuPos, post-processing in Photoshop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Planetary Astrophotography

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
So you were the one who got the C8 EdgeHD. Technically the quality of the scope is better than entry level.
Your image of Jupiter is great! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

Re: Planetary Astrophotography

Post by rifleman175 »

Airconvent wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:18 pm Hi
So you were the one who got the C8 EdgeHD. Technically the quality of the scope is better than entry level.
Your image of Jupiter is great! :)
Yup I was the one who purchased the C8 EdgeHD which serves as the entry level ticket into the world of serious astronomy, looking forward to using it more often but have been hampered by recent streak of non-stop clouds and rain. [smilie=bad-atmosphere.gif]

Thanks again for your encouragement!